Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is only 2 weeks old and i all ready have my windows tinted, wheels and emblems Plasti Dipped. The Borla transverse muffler is in the mail. I think after that im done for a while.

After reading many threads about this magical stuff called Plasti Dip i decided to give it a try. I started small with the rear emblems only. Then watched a few "how to" videos and decided to got for it on the wheels.
this is what i came up with.

i think they all turned out great. [grinking]

Enjoy

close up of wheels

·
Registered
548 Posts
Emblems look great. But I prefer my painted 17"s :) Good job though.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
I definitely have to paint my emblems black, nice work!

·
Registered
444 Posts
did you just the wheels with plasti dip?

i have been wanting to paint my wheels black for a while...that looks really good

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
Niiiiice ;)

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
also did you have someone take the tires off to paint the rims? or did you just tape the wheels off?

also how many cans of plasti-dip did you use (and again spray or other form of plasti-dip?)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Emblems look great. But I prefer my painted 17"s :) Good job though.
i think eventually i will paint them or even better get them powder coated but for now this was a very low cost solution only $12. i wanted to see how they would look first besides the plasti dip is easy to remove and can be re-sprayed. i wish the made a glossy one to try it out. but this flat black looks great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also did you have someone take the tires off to paint the rims? or did you just tape the wheels off?

also how many cans of plasti-dip did you use (and again spray or other form of plasti-dip?)
i took one wheel off at a time cleaned it very well popped the center cap off and then just sprayed them with the plasti dip. i sprayed them with 3 medium coats and used 2 cans for all four wheels and the emblems and still have about 1/4 can left over for touch ups. i didnt bother taping off the wheel and tire the spray does not stick to the tire you just peel it off after it dries.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Lookin good!

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's freaking awesome - I never knew you could plasti-dip wheels. I have to look into this! Thank you for posting.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
^^after reading the details of bsp_53's link, it's got me wondering if one would need to get a tire rebalance after using this stuff. It seems that different brands have variable material weights and thicknesses and left me wondering what problems could arise if the plasti-dip wasn't applied evenly...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts