Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bored this weekend, so I plasti-dipped my wheels. looks better than I thought it would.

So I thought I would try making a small eyelid. Its kinda hard to see, but I think it turned out okay. Definitely needs to be redone, unless I find vinyl ones.

aaaand watching paint dry is boring so I took that time to take shit apart. First thing was the airbox, found out the filter is the same diameter as a cone filter I had lying around my garage *fistpump*

Put the cover back on, you can see the filter a little from the outside

Growls like a SRI should. My wife doesn't understand it, but I think it's awesome!

overall, a good sunday morning!

·
Registered
364 Posts
very nice. [thumb]

·
Registered
446 Posts
Find a way to seal the open end on the airbox so you don't suck in any hot air.
Eyelids look good, Great job. Can you take a closer pic of the lids?

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Better gas mileage less horsepower. He could always take the plastic back side covers off his fake grilles on the left and right and that way cool air will circulate in the engine.

Take them foglights out and PLASTi Dip em! Looking good

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about closing the hole, but then I wouldn't hear the growl. soooo yeah. And here's a bunch of close up's

I tried to get it to follow the body lines, messed up a little, but it at least gives an idea.

unfortunately, due to the nature of the plasti-dip, it peels easily, making it difficult to create a sharp edge. I used a razor to score the edge before removing the tape, but it's still rough.

Sorry for the shitty point-n-shoot camera

Better gas mileage less horsepower. He could always take the plastic back side covers off his fake grilles on the left and right and that way cool air will circulate in the engine.

Take them foglights out and PLASTi Dip em! Looking good
Working on it. trying to figure out how to get them out. I went through a can on the wheels, so i have to get more. I'm thinking about painting the front end to match the ST. best part, if it looks like a dogs [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)], then I can just peel it all off

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks really good. The new focus's are starting to grow on me..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks really good. The new focus's are starting to grow on me..
I've always hated american cars coming from a civic/integra background. Especially the focus or neon. But these new ones ooze the secks. As much as it pained me, I had to get this car because I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So does the cone filter just replace the air box perfectly? Because I have a cone filter laying around from my turbo vdub.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not to shabby my friend. Did you remove the headlights to spray them? Why plasti-dip? Is it durable to withstand the elements? lol I'm considering this......

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So does the cone filter just replace the air box perfectly? Because I have a cone filter laying around from my turbo vdub.

not the airbox, just the filter. I'm sure that you could remove the entire box, fab up a brace and run just that. But I just replaced the filter inside. The stock filter is pretty massive. so I suspect most filters will fit in there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to shabby my friend. Did you remove the headlights to spray them? Why plasti-dip? Is it durable to withstand the elements? lol I'm considering this......
I didn't take them off. i just taped them off. if anything sprayed over onto the body I could just rub it off. That's really why I chose plati-dip. If I hate it, then I can very easily remove it without any damage to the car. I've seen video's of people powerwashing their plasti-dipped stuff. The only problem is if someone rubbed their hand perpendicular to the eyelid, im pretty sure it would peel off

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
I like the wheels.

What size cone filter is that? I have one kicking around the garage that will ultimately go on my Grand Prix, but seeing as how it's parked for many months to come....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the wheels.

What size cone filter is that? I have one kicking around the garage that will ultimately go on my Grand Prix, but seeing as how it's parked for many months to come....
I think it's a 2.75in filter. Came with an ebay CAI i got for the mazda5. It didn't fit the intake because it needed a 3in filter. it's shorter than the oem filter.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Are those the 16" rims with the machined face parts on them? I'm about to pick some up as part of the dealer's winter tire package, but I'm worried that the salt will corrode the machined finish completely, so I may consider painting the entire wheels.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are those the 16" rims with the machined face parts on them? I'm about to pick some up as part of the dealer's winter tire package, but I'm worried that the salt will corrode the machined finish completely, so I may consider painting the entire wheels.
yes they have the machined finish, but it looked as if they had a clear coat on top of them. I wouldn't worry about the salt messing them up

·
Registered
290 Posts
My experience is that clearcoated machined finishes do really corroded, with undercutting corrosion (i.e. undercutting of the clearcoat). My preferred aluminum wheel, for corrosion "protectedness", is a painted aluminum wheel, with all large-radius edges... no sharp edges. And then, of course, hidden (and stick-on) wheel weights.

I had a Mercury Mystique, with machined and clearcoated aluminum wheels -- and yes, though the wheels were in comparatively good shape, they did corrode with the road de-icing salt. And in Vancouver, they are not very agressive with road de-icing salt.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The eyelids are neat, I did the same thing with a filter I had, but I cut off the end of the stock filter to close up the airbox

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My experience is that clearcoated machined finishes do really corroded, with undercutting corrosion (i.e. undercutting of the clearcoat). My preferred aluminum wheel, for corrosion "protectedness", is a painted aluminum wheel, with all large-radius edges... no sharp edges. And then, of course, hidden (and stick-on) wheel weights.

I had a Mercury Mystique, with machined and clearcoated aluminum wheels -- and yes, though the wheels were in comparatively good shape, they did corrode with the road de-icing salt. And in Vancouver, they are not very agressive with road de-icing salt.
Good to know. I've been living in Arizona for the last 3 years, and haven't been anywhere snowy since junior year of highschool. Good to know. sorry for putting out bad infos

The eyelids are neat, I did the same thing with a filter I had, but I cut off the end of the stock filter to close up the airbox
That's not a bad idea. I'm probably never going to need that old filter again. thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've seen alot of folks in the Charger community using the Plasti-dip the wheels for the winter. Not only does it work really well, you can just peel it off in the spring. Do it on the inside of the wheels makes the face stand out and protects at the same time.

Can't really go wrong with the plasti-dip.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts