Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am planning my first maintenance in my Focus 2001 LX. I bought it around 3 weeks ago. This is the list of things I want to do:

1- Clean engine bay
2- Clean engine under the hood
3- Change oil and oil filter
4- Change air filter for a K&N air filter
5- Change cabin air filter
6- Refill A/C
7- Change sparkplugs NGK IX Iridium
8- Change plug wires
9- Change timing belt and tensioner
10- Clean EGR
11- Change PCV
12- Change fuel filter
13- Clean MAF

I know some mechanics, and I think I will manage to do all this by myself with my friend's help and a weekend time. I was wondering if somebody would recommend me any other checking or task.

I don't know exactly how to do number 10 in this car. I am not completely sure about doing number 8 and 13. Any advice?

My intention is to take care of this car, and resell it for a better price, when I leave USA in a year time. At the same time, I prefer to invest beforehand and not having to get towed because of a breakdown.

I am thinking on where to buy the stuff I need, I found this website http://www.autofparts.com/, they ship for free for more than 50 dollars, but I don't know if they are reliable. Maybe using http://sparkplugs.com/. Maybe I go to a Pepboys or Autozone, I don't know what's going to be cheaper and better, any advice?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
165 Posts
Never had any reason to clean an EGR valve on a focus in 9 model years. I have seen a few EGR valves rust apart and need replacing. Many EGR tubes on spi engines and lots of dpfe sensors on zetec engines.

You say 2001 LX which engine SPI or Zetec? How many miles?

Changing plug wires is not to difficult just do it after the washing and cleaning so as not to ruin the new wires.

Cleaning MAF may not be necessary but if you do be sure to use a cleaner recommended for that purpose or you might ruin a good MAF

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine is SPI 2.0l. Is the EGR electronic or mechanical? I am confused in Spain it is common to clean the membranes inside.

The car has 93.000 miles on it. I read an engine code P0171 "engine too lean" that is cleared but not fixed. I have checked vacuum leaks and I could not find anything. What would be a good reason for cleaning the MAF?

Thanks,

·
Registered
165 Posts
The egr valve is opened by vacuum from a seperate solenoid controlled by the computer. Just never had any problem with these egr valves. Cleaned many on 1980's and 1990's cars and trucks and recently the 6.0L diesels.

With the lean code P0171 and no vacuum or air leak found it is worth trying the maf cleaning. Could also be lack of fuel caused by dirty filter or pump going bad. So get the filter in and clean the maf and try it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the explanation foci3, I just remembered the cars I used to see were diesels and they have a different EGR system.

Thanks DarkFire1986 for the tips, I will do it as you say.

I bought today all the stuff I needed at Kragen. I went to the UPS store, and there was one next to it. I entered and they had good offers and a 10% discount. So I got everything for a good price. The K&N air filter makes the driving better, I also removed the resonator and sounds better. I wish I had the money for one AEM or Volant air intakes, but I don't.

They have some universal seat covers there, I am still trying to decide if try them or not, some ones I have seen on cars look pretty good. However I never find covers for the rear seats.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the explanation foci3, I just remembered the cars I used to see were diesels and they have a different EGR system.

Thanks DarkFire1986 for the tips, I will do it as you say.

I bought today all the stuff I needed at Kragen. I went to the UPS store, and there was one next to it. I entered and they had good offers and a 10% discount. So I got everything for a good price. The K&N air filter makes the driving better, I also removed the resonator and sounds better. I wish I had the money for one AEM or Volant air intakes, but I don't.

They have some universal seat covers there, I am still trying to decide if try them or not, some ones I have seen on cars look pretty good. However I never find covers for the rear seats.

·
Registered
804 Posts
yeah change your Oil and filter (replace Oil drain plug)
change fuel filter
change air filter
do the maf cleaning
change spark plugs
hmm an 01 with 93,000 id go ahead and change the plug wires as well
these are the most important things to do first
good luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm an 01 with 93,000 id go ahead and change the plug wires as well
I am finally decided to change plug wires too. To get full power from my new Iridium spark plugs I am going to get some Taylor 8,2 thundervolt plug wires.

Is there a way to know when was the last time the transmission fluid was flushed and changed? is there a way to know when is time to change it?

Thanks

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
ATX fluid is supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles.

The dealer I went to told me the transmission pan doesn't come with a drain plug from the factory, it has to be drilled and plugged when changed.
Assuming this is true, if there is no plug then it's never been changed.

At 93,000, it's probably in need of a change

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you DarkFire1986. I know it has to be changed every 30k. But I don't want to do it if it was done 15k miles ago. The previous owner could not remember last time it was changed.

It is not necessary to put a drain plug in the transmission pan. Some people prefer to remove it all, clean it really good and remove the debris inside and then seal it with a new gasket. Anyways you can not change the transmission fluid filter without removing the pan.

So, I was thinking that maybe the color of the oil in the dipstick could tell me something.

Thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
ATX fluid is supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles.

The dealer I went to told me the transmission pan doesn't come with a drain plug from the factory, it has to be drilled and plugged when changed.
Assuming this is true, if there is no plug then it's never been changed.

At 93,000, it's probably in need of a change
whoa! lol
i wouldnt drill and plug anything! the solenoids on the ATX are almost right against the pan(i just changed my solenoid and tranny fluid)
undo the 20 bolts that hold the tranny pan on then change your filter and scrape and clean pan and reapply some high temp RTV silicone sealent
not that hard (clean pan and metal shavings off of the magnet as well you dont want that crap recirculating through tranny )

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think there is some confusion with my question. I am not asking how to do it, I know transmissions pretty well. The question is, how do I know if it is time to do it.

I have already spent around 400 dollars in parts, including the polisher, a code reader, an A/C checking and filling system... So I am over my budget limit now.

Thanks anyways FociBoi121

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well, I think there is some confusion with my question. I am not asking how to do it, I know transmissions pretty well. The question is, how do I know if it is time to do it.

I have already spent around 400 dollars in parts, including the polisher, a code reader, an A/C checking and filling system... So I am over my budget limit now.

Thanks anyways FociBoi121
The transmission fluid and filter kit will only run you about $30 for it all and only take about 1/2 hour to do.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, You convinced me. I will go for it too.

Yesterday when I was back in Kragen picking up the rest of the parts I ordered, I told the guy to check my battery and alternator. I noticed that the battery was weak sometimes I left a small light on for some minutes. He told that the battery is almost dead and to change it as soon as possible.

As I am from Spain, I didn't know any of the brand names they had there and I was thinking that probably it is cheaper to buy it in a Wallmart or Target, even with their 10% discount.

So what is a brand you would recommend getting here? Would you recommend me getting a bigger one with more amperage?

Thanks for the help again, I almost have everything. Next weekend it is the weekend, and after that I will be posting pictures of the work.

By the way I finally got the Spiro Pro 8mm Taylor plug wires, for only 38 dollars!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No one can tell me what's a reliable and good brand for batteries? I really don't know American brands.

Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
I hear good things about optima batteries but i always just buy the cheap wal-mart ones because they all pretty much perform the same function.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Optima are probably some of the best batterys, they are dry cell and can be mounted in ANY way, upside down or whatever floats your boat. How ever if this car is just your daily driver and you are not going to have mad accessories you will be just fine with a Wal-Mart battery I have used them before and they work great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts