Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current car is 2001 Focus wagon SE, Zetec engine. I want another one, but a few years newer. Maybe a 2006.

Any of you know of changes/issues in that year range ('02-'06) that I might need to know about?

I like Zetec engines, automatic transmissions, electric doors, and want another wagon, I need the cargo space.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
zetec engine ended in 2004.
2005+ is all duratec and is a better engine anyways. more hp, mileage, and a timing chain. is as equally durable as the zetec.
wagons ended in 2007.
all models from 00-07 are nearly the same from the A piller back, so many body and suspension parts interchange.

05-07 wagon seems like a safe choice.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
I have cars with both and I like the Dtecs better. I have a 2004 ZTS with a 2.3Dtec in it that's my daily.

It has 164K on it and there's no engine leaks.

Lots of power too.

Wagons are usually in better shape too so look for a good one with a 2.0 or a 2.3Dtec. Keep your eye out for a lower mileage well kept one and have cash ready to buy.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to learn a little more about Dtecs, then. I was under the impression that Zetecs were better.

I'd still like to hear from more people, so if you have experience with both, please chime in!

Thanks!

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
Duratec should be the more reliable and more efficient choice. I cant really think of an advantage the zetec would have over the newer duratecs. Ford started using the duratec in a Focus in 2003 as a PZEV option in the green states. For 03 and 04 the duratec option was only the 2.3l. Then in 05 the 2.0l become standard on all models except for the ST. The ST versions were sedan only and got the 2.3l duratec (as well as manual only and 4 wheel disc brakes.)

Ford kept using the na 2.0l duratec nearly unchanged through the 2011 model focus (08-11 were drive by wire, about the only thing i can think of.) There were no real mechanical issues with the motor. Pretty much just keep up on fluids and replace sparkplugs as needed.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
You said a 2006, but a 5spd 2012+ hatch is a good option if you can find one.
the 2012+ engine = good. auto transmission = bad, avoid if possible.

i know u said 5 speed manual, but the OP wants auto.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
+ she also wants a wgn.....so '03-'07.....more easier to find a '05-'07 wgn....good luck + open up your search radius.....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I can't afford anything as new as 2012, unless I stumble across a real bargain. I've seen as new as '07 in my price range, though rare. '04-'06 fairly common, much easier to find.
I want an automatic, because I have osteoporosis and sometimes I get broken. I used to always drive a stick, but after twice having an injury that kept me from driving only because it was a stick, I've switched over to automatics. Right now I'm recovering from a broken finger on my right hand. A stick would've been awfully painful to drive.

Wagons are best for me, too. I need space for things like bales of straw, bags of feed, etc. A wagon is much easier to load and unload.

Thanks for the effort, anyway! I appreciate your suggestion, even though it wouldn't be suitable for me.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
You should be able to find a '05-'07 auto wagon.......Look for one w/ under 100K.

·
Registered
462 Posts
pick up a 2008 or newer volvo v50. you won’t believe the difference. I got a 2007 i might sell with just over 200k for 3000. ...

had a durateck in an x3...z can’t compete.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wagons will be tough to find. You may want to expand your search to 2008-2012 Escape/Mariner/Tribute with a 2.3 or 2.5 Duratec.

I can't afford anything as new as 2012, unless I stumble across a real bargain. I've seen as new as '07 in my price range, though rare. '04-'06 fairly common, much easier to find.
I want an automatic, because I have osteoporosis and sometimes I get broken. I used to always drive a stick, but after twice having an injury that kept me from driving only because it was a stick, I've switched over to automatics. Right now I'm recovering from a broken finger on my right hand. A stick would've been awfully painful to drive.

Wagons are best for me, too. I need space for things like bales of straw, bags of feed, etc. A wagon is much easier to load and unload.

Thanks for the effort, anyway! I appreciate your suggestion, even though it wouldn't be suitable for me.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Wagons will be tough to find. You may want to expand your search to 2008-2012 Escape/Mariner/Tribute with a 2.3 or 2.5 Duratec.
Really sounds like she's trying to keep the cost down......hence a pre '07 wagon.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really sounds like she's trying to keep the cost down......hence a pre '07 wagon.
Yes, thanks, Felix. I really need to keep the cost down. I need an oldie but goodie.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts