Focus Fanatics Forum banner

301 - 309 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So awesome! Great to see it landed in your hand a few years ago and you've finally got her back on the road! I knew I should have never sold it. The buy who bought it from me wrecked it as soon as they got behind the wheel!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
So awesome! Great to see it landed in your hand a few years ago and you've finally got her back on the road! I knew I should have never sold it. The buy who bought it from me wrecked it as soon as they got behind the wheel!

Well it’s in good hands now. Once it gets polished it should hopefully look brand new. I’m thinkin I won’t get to that till the spring time tho. I’m so excited it’s running again. It’s been so long but so rewarding now that it’s back. Driving it along Woodward Saturday was such an awesome feeling of accomplishment for me.

I got some great pictures of it where I used to work(which is vacant now). It spun the bearings a few miles after leaving and I wanted it to leave that place on a good note for my own little reasons.

My buddy met me there with his mustang so we could go cruise. He just got his coil overs installed last month and it’s sitting really nice now.

Side note, fixing the AC has been bumped to a higher priority next year. Not having that and driving thru some heavy rain with the windows up Saturday night sucked. It was toasty inside lol

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Original filter will have a mark. This is the one I pulled off my 164k SVT.

I don’t remember if there was that marking on the filter I pulled off the car and it’s already been tossed. Thanks for the info tho

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Checking in again! Car has been running quite well so far. I believe I’ve put around 800mi on it since the swap. Still having a weird power loss/sputter that lasts maybe 10-20seconds or so every time I drive the car. It’s only a minor inconvenience and I still think it’s O2 sensor related. Will chase that in in the spring.

The car got a good wash again not long ago. I’m dying to polish it but that’s a project saved for the springtime. I need something like that to look forward to coming out of the gloomy Michigan winter.

It hasn’t been all sunshine and rainbows tho lol. I did managed to lose 5th and 6th gear yesterday. Luckily I was off the freeway and almost to work. I took a nice scenic route along the bay/river home which was nice for a change. I haven’t been thru that way in a long time and I honestly didn’t mind the longer drive. But cruising along in 4th at 45ish mph probably destroyed my fuel economy this tank LOL. Last tank I managed just under 29mpg and I wasn’t trying at all. Regardless I’ll have to mess with the linkage to find the problem. Hopefully it’s something simple. I’m just glad I didn’t lose all the gears and have to have it towed home.

Its so nice to have both cars around. It puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel of this little car

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #306 (Edited)
I managed to replace the shift cables last weekend. It wasn’t to bad, but it could have been a bit smoother lol. The slightly newer design on these cables is much nicer.

The ball cup on both cables had a crack and the cylindrical mounting piece was busted on the left/right cable which explains why 5th and 6th were gone. But that’s fixed!

I have a laundry list of parts sitting around waiting to install. The pile is a bit overwhelming to be honest!

MACH headlights
LED exterior and interior bulbs
Hawk HPS pads
Rotors
A new Battery harness
A new alternator harness
All new calipers(planing to send to powdercoater)
European front grill
Clear side markers
I’ve sourced euro tail lights, but haven’t purchased yet
Waiting on the RS replica spoiler to ship
Washer nozzles
Rear wiper delete
Eibach front and rear sway bars
Massive lower engine mount
Carbon fiber mirror caps
Fresh tint because this cheap stuff is going purple ish

I am most likely forgetting some stuff, but you get the idea. There is so much good stuff to work on with the car. It’s very exciting!

For those not on here often, I do have an Instagram under this unsername @pitchblacksvt I’ll be sure to try and update both equally for those interested in the projects.

-sbc

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
A couple weekends ago I managed to get e oil pressure and vacuum gauges hooked up properly. I’m pretty proud of the wiring harness I made for it. Definitely my best work yet.

As for the gauges I tapped into the intake manifold lines that run right on top then ran the line back thru the firewall to the sender for the gauge. No leaks and it works great.

The oil pressure sensor was a bit more tricky. I had the sensor behind the coil pack on the original engine but the fitment wasn’t super ideal. So I ordered some fresh fittings, 10mm spacers and longer bolts. I pushed the bracket off the head with the spacers to leave enough room for the sensor to be properly mounted. It turned out quite well. At some point I’d like to paint all of the brackets but for now, it’s functional and I’m happy with the results.

I actually forgot to take a picture of the gauges! Whoops, I’ll share that in another post.

Last weekend I managed to replace all the shift bushings minus the counterweight one. I still have some side to side shifter play which is a bummer but unavoidable for now since it’s the L bracket bushing that ford discontinued a while back. I think that’s also causing the slight issue going into 3rd. It’s not grinding, but it seems to get hung up sometimes. I’ve tried adjusting the cables probably a dozen times with little to no change. So I may have to figure out a way to ream the hole and use a brass bushing or something to clean up the rest of the play. Still pondering ideas.

The cars been driven around 40miles this spring and it’s so enjoyable to drive. I’m slowly but surely checking projects off the list. Next is most likely a couple new plugs in the engine harness then hopefully re-wiring for MACH’s!

-sbc

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Today’s update is fun stuff. At least to me lol.

I fit the euro grill to the car and had to trim a bunch to clear the latch and the latch release. Based on what I’ve read, his is a knock off because I had to trim so much. Doesn’t bother my because it turned out great!

I wet sanded the plastic with 1000grit sand paper and then alcohol wiped the surface just before spraying. I used Rustoleum primer, topped that with Duplicolor Perfect Match Universal Black, and then used Rustoleum clear coat.

On to the MACH’s.

These were definitely in need of a re-spray since the sun had damaged the lens. So I stepped up thru the sand papers. 320, 400, 600, 800, and then ended with 1000. Followed that up with 3 coats of SprayMax 2k clearcoat. There is a bit of orange peel so I’ll have to do a light wet sand with 2000grit and follow that up with a quick polish. For my first headlight restoration I am more than happy with the results! They look brand new!

Overall made some solid progress this weekend. Next step for the MACH’s is wiring up the car with a new harness set for the VW plugs. Hopefully I can tackle that soon. The only potential issue I may have is getting the factory igniters working with the new EvoXR 2.0 projectors I swapped in. If that’s the case I don’t think I’ll be able to use the factory ballasts and igniters. All things to work out when I get to that point.

-sbc

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
This weekends progress was all about the wiring.

I started with soldering in a new pigtail for the coil pack plug as well as the MAF plug. The coil pack one was really bad and I’m glad it’s done now.

Onto the fun stuff.

The MACH’s are finally installed. I’ve had these laying around for darn near 6 years and finally seeing them on the car was so exciting.

After the clearcoat sat for the week I wet sanded with 1500grit to eliminate all of the orange peel. I then followed up with Meguiars M101 compound and finished them off with Somax Perfect Finish. The results are amazing and 100% worth the effort.

Next I made up a set of harnesses to solder into the factory harness. Following the diagram that’s been floating around for years I managed to make these up.

Yesterday I spent most of the day soldering the new harness in and testing everything. Took me a while but I like to take my time and do things right without taking shortcuts.

I had to get a little creative to maintain the factory ballasts/igniters with the swapped in EvoXR 2.0 projectors. The OEM igniters have a twist lock that goes onto the back of the projector bowl. The new ones do not and wouldn’t fit. So I ordered a set of D2S 90deg adapters and a set of D2S igniter adapters and made a little jumper harness. The red connection goes to the back of the bulb, and the black connection goes into the igniter. I then used 3M foam tape to stick the igniter to the back cap of the housing. With a little trial and error you can get them to fit without interfering with the other internal components.

Once I tested them to make sure everything powered up I went ahead and installed them to the body. WOW, I have imagined what they would look like in person for so long and they do not disappoint.

They still need to be properly adjusted because I’m sure they are all out of wack but the car looks so incredible with a set of these installed. For now the stock grill is back in until my flip badge comes for the euro grill. But once that comes the grill will go in as well as a set of clear side markers to round off the front end changes. Oh, I didn’t know till I discovered the low beams turn off with the high beams, but I guess I need to modify a connection in the steering column to get that functionality. Definitely going to do that.

Now onto the frustrating stuff. The car still has a weird idle/run issue once during every key cycle. It runs like garbage and any throttle input just about kills it. It seems like it’s starving for fuel which would explain the lean code. But it also has a to rich code which contradicts that lol. This lasts for 30sec to a minute or so and then it smooths out like nothing happened. Weird. I pulled the plugs yesterday and #1 smells like burnt oil. The others weren’t as bad, but the dipstick smells burnt as well. Soooo I’m not entirely sure on that. I’m leaning towards the coil pack being bad? But not entirely sure. Possibly a TPS issue or maybe even a dirty MAF?

If anyone has any input or can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

I sure am making a habit out of long posts aren’t I lol

-sbc

301 - 309 of 309 Posts