Focus Fanatics Forum banner

281 - 300 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Just pulled the valve cover off and pulled the VCT solenoid out. It looks like it's fine to me lol.

There was oil puddled on the exhaust side, I'm assuming that's normal? Probably just the way it's sitting in the driveway and it's not able to drain back down.

I ran it for like 2 min Friday and it was throwing a code. Not sure what it is yet because I don't have access to a reader. I'm trying to borrow one from a friend. So maybe it's finally spitting out a code that could lead to answers?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
I have exactly same plm right now, and a guy told me if my crank position sensor went bad, then it will never fire up...

Sorry I just got this, Tapatalk must not be giving me my notifications.

Yea I would imagine it would stop you from starting since it's has no idea on the location. I'm sure it's a "safety" feature for the engine. It reduces the chance of bending the valves.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Car is put away for the winter. So glad I was able to do this Saturday before Michigan decided to drop 10+ inches of snow yesterday lol.

So there will be minimum updates since it's now winter. The car fired right up when we put it on the trailer. Still clueless on the rattle but I think it may be something with the VCT. In the spring I'll most likely replace the solenoid as a start.

Thanks again for all the help guys! If anyone stumbles across my thread and has any leads for a solution please share! I'll be checking this every once in a while.

The journey with this little car has come such a long way. Glad I did get to drive it for a very short few times this summer. Just driving thru 25mph residential the car feels incredible. It made me fall in love with it all over again.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Hey guys. Been pretty busy and the car hasn't even left the storage unit except to get my parent VW Thing out a couple weeks ago.

Pretty bummed I haven't had the time yet for it this year. But next month I'm hoping to have some time to set aside to the little guy.

Yes, I'm still 100% devoted to this car. It may not seem like it since this darn rebuild has been a battle for the past several years, but this car means so much to me. Thanks for listening and following this whole crazy process.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
Hey guys! I have an actual update this morning.

So last night I went and bought an engine for my car! Needs a little tlc. I'll end up wire brushing it and throwing a coat of paint on the block. Needs a timing assembly and a few small things.

So an actual update for everyone.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Whoa... new engine?? Thought I'd check in on my old girl and it looks like she's getting a new heart?!?!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Whoa... new engine?? Thought I'd check in on my old girl and it looks like she's getting a new heart?!?!

Yup! I’ve got some parts on order for the new engine. Mainly timing components and a few other odds and ends.

Last weekend I started to make a game plan to get this darn project moving again. Life happens and projects get pushed to the side unfortunately. My house has been my project lately. But, I have a new found energy to get back to the car in the coming spring. I’ve had to many excuses and reasons why the car isn’t running the past several years.

I’m so excited right now to be back at this car.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Back in the barn. My buddy and I replaced the thermostat in his mini last weekend. My car was sitting outside for a week or so so he could work on this car. We jumped my car and it fired right up which was a nice surprise. The rattle is still there even tho a small part of me hoped it magically disappeared lol.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Hey guys,
I feel terrible that I haven’t worked on the car this year...makes me feel sick thinking about it.

I’m pretty disappointed in myself with regards to this car. I have so many ideas and plans still. Not having the time or garage to work on it makes things extremely difficult. It’s still at my buddies house, and he lives 1.5hrs away which suuuuucks. I hope to change that and have the car running for late fall or the springtime. I know I’ve said that before and I haven’t been able to follow thru so we will see if I can make the time to work weekends on the car.

Just wanted to give an update/reason for why it’s been 6months and still no running car.

Thanks,
Stewart

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
Well, it’s about time I started being more active and getting this darn thing on the road again.

I ordered parts last night for the donor motor. I probably need a few more things, but these were on the “for sure” list.

Also ordered a massive timing kit. I bent the crap out of the pin I had previously and I can’t find it anyway Lol.

This car may be the death of me, but it will run again.

Besides the rebuild, the paint needs some correction which I’m really looking forward too after the donor is swapped in. Oh and the tires are reeeaaallly bad. Lots of dry rot and I’m not comfortable driving the car on them. Any suggestions? I’m probably going to go with the BFG Sport Comp 2’s. I like my Bridgestones(RE760 Sport’s) that are installed on my fusion, but the BFG’s are rated for a bit better dry and wet traction.

So that’s some short term plans. I’m hoping to start working on the car ASAP. This weekend is the Woodward Dream Cruise so that eliminates that as a start, but possibly next weekend.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
While out at the Dream Cruise yesterday the Massive timing kit was delivered to my house. This kit is way nicer than the kit I had previously(CFM I think?). I’m getting more excited everyday about working on the car.

The Dream Cruise was fun as usual. I cruised from downtown Detroit with my buddy and his mustang which was fun.

The fusion is lookin perfect. Once the focus is done I’ll have a pretty solid looking pair of cars.

I did see one SVT when we were walking around and it looked really good. It had a supercharged vinyl on the side. Does anyone know the owner? I’ve been thinking about gold EAP’s for a while now. This car totally sold it for me.

I’m trying to be more active on my thread even if I don’t have any big updates. So here is an update.

-sbc

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Yesterday my order of parts came in for the new motor.

Parts List:
Timing belt
Tensioner
Idler
Valve cover gasket
Spark plugs
Flywheel bolts
Crank bolt
Fan resistor

These are my “for sure” parts but I’m sure I’ll need some more as I dig into this.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
So today I pulled the car out from where it was sitting for the better part of the summer to give it a good wash since it was super dirty.

I used Adam’s Ultra Foam soap in my foam cannon. Followed that up with a wipe down of ONR. After that I used a Nanoskin Autoscrub to pull the garbage that was stuck in to paint. I then wiped it with a 50/50 water/IPA mix and put a coat of Adam’s buttery wax just to give it some protection for the time being.

After the engine swap I plan on doing a much needed full paint correction to get it back to new!

Yay progress!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Use Wolfgang's uber compound w/ a m/f pad.....IDK what machine you have....Griots boss 15/ Rupes 15 or a Flex3401 w/ a 5.5 pads......ftw.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Use Wolfgang's uber compound w/ a m/f pad.....IDK what machine you have....Griots boss 15/ Rupes 15 or a Flex3401 w/ a 5.5 pads......ftw.

I haven’t looked into Wolfgang products before but I may have to give it a glance. Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve had good results with CarPro Clearcut/Reflect on my Dads motorcycle tank so I’ll probably start with that stuff.

I have the harbor freight DA(for my 3” Pads) as well as the MaxShine 15mm which I like so far. I’m still new to the polishing side of detailing so this will be a great learning project!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Original owner check in! I was thinking about the old girl the other day and I was hoping I'd see her returned to her 2003 glory! Looks like you're still committed.... I'd love to see you get her running, and someday maybe get a chance to drive her again! ;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
***Super Long Detailed Post***

Well, where do I even start... There is so much to cover but I guess I’ll just get to the most important stuff first.

It’s been about 6 years since the car has properly ran which is just crazy and to be honest, depressing. To my coworkers and some friends the car has basically been a myth because nobody has actually seen it lol. I’ve had so many mixed emotions thru this experience too. Excitement, confusion, devastation, anxiety you name it, I have felt it. Who would have thought an inanimate little car could do all that to a person? Well I am very happy to say that #0061 is back on the road. This past weekend myself and some absolutely incredible friends spent close to 40hrs swapping the engine out for the one I had purchased back in 2017. I had wanted to drive the car home from my friends house under its own power and we did that Sunday night around 10pm. I don’t know of a more victorious way to end such a long drawn out process lol. The car made it thru it’s 75mi long maiden voyage home with very minor hiccups. A slight stutter around 50mph which may be little spurts of bad fuel. We can’t find the little T end for the battery terminal so vice grips held it tight for the drive home(don’t worry I ordered a replacement and it’s on the way). And the LH driver rear caliper was hanging up for a little but managed to free itself shortly after we started.

I went out to work on the car Friday after work. We managed to get the new(craigslist) engine properly timed and cleaned up a bit so it was as ready as it could be before the other engine came out of the car. Saturday morning went spent our time pulling out everything from the bay. The second time thru this was way less intimidating for me. Before this whole swap and rebuild the most extensive car project I had done was rear drums brakes on my 1996 Sunfire(RIP). Crazy right? I really jumped head first on this one. Anyway, it was so familiar and it went quite smooth. By 12:30 that night we had an empty bay, a bare engine and the new one ready to be dropped in Sunday morning. I took my time and put all of the hoses and harnesses I could ON the engine before it went in back in. The first time we did this we did all of that when it was already on the hoist and hovering in the bay. I highly suggest you do it the way we did the second time so you can get everything nicely placed and not a tangled mess. Sunday was spent putting in the new engine which went pretty smooth as well. By that time we were all exhausted and getting worn down. Around 6ish we tried to start it for the first time. It turned over and fired up almost immediately. The idle tapered off and it just sat there and purred. I honestly couldn’t believe that it was running again. The clutch took a bit to bleed but once we did that the bumper went back on and I went for a test drive. I know I was in shock the whole time and I was honestly really shaky. That first drive to the gas station was such an awesome feeling of accomplishment. This is by far the biggest project I have done in my life and to finally have a successful outcome was so rewarding. After we grabbed some pizza we packed up both my cars and I drove the focus back home while my best friend followed in the Fusion and my other buddy followed in his truck so they could drive home themselves. At that point I was still nervous but also had a confident gut feeling the car would get me home.

Engine Swap Pictures:

So onto the next topic. The rattle in the rebuilt engine. We pulled the engine out and started to transfer over the accessories Saturday night. Once we got the transmission off the clutch/flywheel was next. That’s when we discovered ALL 6 of the flywheel bolts were not only completely loose, but had backed out about a quarter inch. There was no noise under load because they were being held still by the spinning flywheel, but once you let off they are free to rattle around. We were all suuuper frustrated to know that was the darn rattle this whole time. They were properly torqued down and we did use loctite. Our theory is that the loctite didn’t set properly or it mixed a bit with the oil once we started the initial test drive(and never set at all), which is why it happened about a couple miles into the drive. So yea, brought down by 6 fricken bolts. Still may be slightly bitter on that subject LOL. Regardless, I now have an answer to that symptom that has been bothering me for close to 3 years. Also the original rebuild first startup had a crazy high idle(2k ish)which we couldn’t really figure out then either. Turns out 2 of the intake manifold couplers weren’t seated properly and basically were just a giant vacuum leak. So it was nice to have an answer for that too. Side note, those couplers were a pain to get on correctly.

Some random advice for long term car storage. Dryer sheets. How many you ask? ALL OF THEM. My car is a rolling testament for that being a solution to keep mice out of the car. About 6 years and several garages/barns that I know had mice around and not a single sign of them anywhere. The other benefit to this solution is the interior smells fantastic lol

I drove the car after work yesterday about 20 miles just going around town for a bit and wow, I have missed driving this car. There truly is something special with this platform and you can’t really explain it. After driving my fusion for the last 4 years I’ve become accustomed to drive by wire throttle and a heavier car that doesn’t feel as planted even with the installed lowering springs. The coupe doors are huge and not having a pillar in in my blind spot is so weird to readjust too lol. I have been re-learning the car and it’s so enjoyable. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Fusion, but there is something so special about these little SVT’s. For some reason I remember the focus having a bit louder exhaust but it’s really quite tame(which I like). My daily(Fusion) is not only lower than the focus, it’s also louder lol. The lower part will hopefully change next year, but for now the exhaust is staying stock. I like the tone and it’s not “boy racer” loud. If/when I ever change it out due to component failure the FSWERKS Stealth seems to be the go to for stock sound with a bit more volume.

Things still to do in the coming weeks:

-Fix the LED hyper flash(throw old bulbs back in for now)
-check fan fuses because I don’t think they are coming on
-get an alignment
-much needed cleaning(inside and out)
-reinstall a few interior parts(vents bezels etc)
-reinstall the radio
-reinstall amp stuff for sub
-change oil again
-new fuel filter
-need bolts for spark plug wire cover
-polish headlights for this year(sun has destroyed them, MACH’s next year?)
-aim headlights
-aim fog lights
-new air filter

Next year priority list:
-new brakes(calipers, disks, pads)
-new suspension(coilovers hopefully)
-new tint
-MACH’s
-Euro Grill
-clear side markers
-intake couplers

Conclusion:

I’ll leave you all with that. For those still here and interested, thanks for reading my very long story. There is still much more in my plans looking ahead but for now, I’ve finally got #0061 back up running strong and I am going to enjoy EVERY second behind the wheel.

-sbc

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
I replaced the fuel filter last night and changed the oil. This filter was gross and I don’t know if it’s ever been replaced.
A couple times while test driving it all but died on me. I’m thinking it’s just working thru some fuel issues. I sat and let it idle for a min or so until it seemed to sort itself out and then drive fine.

It’s throwing some codes currently:
EVAP P0430 something(meh)
P0131 & P0132 to rich and too lean(kinda odd)
And I think it was P0174? Also a fuel code.

No other DTC codes have popped up and I’m hoping these kinda work themselves out. If not maybe I need new O2 sensors?

But, all of that aside I drove it to work for the first time today. No problems and it felt amazing to drive it in. My coworker was really excited to finally see the car especially since he has an ST.

I still need to get an alignment and I’m hoping that solves the squirrelly feeling on the concrete sections of freeway. It seems to track fine, except on the parts that have the thin cuts thru them. It wobble left to right quite a bit. Not alarming can’t drive it bad, but definitely a 2 hands on the wheel situation.

Also, car got a quick detail on the exterior. Wash, Clay, and some sealant. It is in desperate need of paint correction and I think that will be a spring project. Otherwise, it still cleans up pretty well without much effort.

Can’t say it enough. It feels great to have this back up and running. Stay tuned for more.

-sbc

281 - 300 of 305 Posts