Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for about a year, my door handle hasn't worked on the driver's side. I either kept the window down to reach the inside handle or had to open it from the passenger side.

Something snapped on the inside and I've been too lazy to replace it. So I finally decided that I'm going to fix everything wrong, broken, or damaged on my car. The first thing to do was fix the door handle. That turned out to be quite an ordeal. You have virtually no room to reach to get the posts off and I had break the plastic to do so. The new one went in with not too much hassle (some bending here and there), BUT it turns out that the piece the actual outside handle pulls had about 1/4 inch of slack before it grabbed and this was with the new piece.

If anyone has this problem while changing door handles, here was my fix. I bought a strong adhesive, cut some plastic and glued the plastic to the part of the door handle that grabs the metal piece to pull open the latch...uh...yeah, if you understand what I'm talking about. I zip tied the plastic together and used channel locks to pull it as tight as possible. It worked great. I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but that's what I did to fix it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Some pictures might help. I changed my door handles to the painted svt ones and don't recall having any of the same problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts