Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 svt eap focus I'm restoring bought with a blown HG

Fast foward to teardown and machine shop visit

I bought a rebuild kit and it has the zetec style piston, the block is .50mm overbore and The machine shop pressed on the pistons. The head was cut lightly 57cc is stock? I'm about 54cc and the piston is around .015 outta the hole block was cleaned up also

So with this being said anyone run svt stock rods and zetec pistons?

so far no search has yeilded anything and right now I'm looking at around 10.6 cr on Rsr static compression ratio calculator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
where does one find the information?

the rod length for most aftermarket rods is 5.483 which is the same as stock? and lists zetec and svt? and compression distance is on engine tech pistons is 1.157 and je pistons is 1.171 .014 thou difference ,

So running svt rods with the magical piston offset thats the only option because doing some math and having the short block done seems to be yeilding 10.25 cr on a svt head, and a stock aztec head gasket which is what .027 thou and the svt one is .040? combustion chamber size is also extremely close as well but once again I've seen 42cc stock all the way up to 57.7cc i checked my head and its 54 and its been cleaned up. valve size is stock but once again i read somewhere its 1mm bigger?

Maybe I'm being a optimistic, But so far 2 million people say this won't work but Ill be torquing the head down tomorrow and timing everything tommorow night once my 2.0 timing kit comes in the mail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are the rod lengths I have gathered from research... copied from a dead thread,
5.36" 136.1mm Silvertop stock rod
5.54" 140.7mm Blacktop stock rod
5.476" 139.1mm American stock rod
5.475" 139.07mm Pauter rod
5.482" 139.24mm Crower rod
5.483" 139.27mm Eagle rod
5.878" 149.3mm K1 tech rod

·
FF Affiliate
30,660 Posts
Your reading some misinformation then trying to convince your self there the same and the Zetec rods vs the SVT rods are not the same and why your now .015 out of the block

The aftermarket rods (eagle etc) and Forged pistons correct the issue , if you put the forged pistons on the stock SVT rods ( wrist pin size issues ) the piston will be out of the block as well , the Zetec/eagle rods are shorter and that allows the forged pistons to work

Yes the SVT has bigger valves and with the piston that much closer .025-.035 closer to the valves you need to be very careful because the SVT is an interference engine

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not head strong here , so whats the next logical step besides torque the head and then install everything and measure ptv clearance and adjusting with a different head gasket?

will she ever hunt?

·
FF Affiliate
30,660 Posts
Its been done just check the PTV clearances well and keep the compression in the 10.2-10.4 range

You will need a custom tune with datalogging and wideband to keep it safe

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok that I'm doing , thats refreshing. Ill post in here to keep this alive with any good information i can offer, thanks 1turbofocus tomorrow we should find out!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Belts on and everything torque to spec, spun it over no issues and Im tearing it down with my students tommorrow to check clearances, and go over a few things,

Should I refuse the head gasket or buy a new one?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
waiting on clutch, I went with the SVT head gasket , Checked PTV looked good everything is all set up and together have to tackle the PCV system I deleted that big metal thing, and used CFM plate and need to plum a catch can in

·
FF Affiliate
30,660 Posts
Actually the big metal thing is far superior to the CFM one , Most have to use the CFM one for Turbo

Dont get me wrong the CFM one works but for NA I would stay with the stock one its better at catching and returning the oil

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm really i didn't even think about that I still have it and didn't bin it yet, I didn't mind it, just mine was horrid looking , its still out ill look it at it if i can't find my catch can ,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
little update! i went with the set focus head gasket for the thickness. Also just fired up the car with my students yesterday! runs exceptionally well. Sounds strong and really climbs the rpms fast,

Can using non SVT pistons on SVT rods, it can be done and every motor is different, I had the head and deck of the block cleaned up and had pistons out of the hole. You'll need to measure ptv 100% but I figure compression is around 10.5:-11.2:1 , everything else from the bay kit was great and seals all good car doesn't even leak a drop of oil , I can't wait to get brakes and L/F Hub bearing and go crusade!!

·
FF Affiliate
30,660 Posts
If you dont get a Custom Tune she wont run long , stock is 10.2 Compression

How far out of the hole and what thickness head gasket did you use ?

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
.015 maybe .020 with piston rock, outta the hole and i used the svt hg, and the Air fuel and timing seems to be fine , has a sct tune in it now from whoever, and I've been ringing 7200 rpm for a day or so , been using a junky scan tool to monitor everything cruising around, still needs wheel bearing but never driving one before it feels strong and pulls great

no smoke good compression in the high 90s can't complain, going to change the oil and check plugs bang a wheel bearing and hope to throw it on my buddies dyno and see what she makes,

·
FF Affiliate
30,660 Posts
Are you logging the 4 knock sensors ? A/F should be 12.8 , Nothing over 13.2 A/F

I 100% guarantee you you have MAJOR detonation and its pulling a lot of timing

Tom

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
.015 maybe .020 with piston rock, outta the hole and i used the svt hg, and the Air fuel and timing seems to be fine , has a sct tune in it now from whoever, and I've been ringing 7200 rpm for a day or so , been using a junky scan tool to monitor everything cruising around, still needs wheel bearing but never driving one before it feels strong and pulls great

no smoke good compression in the high 90s can't complain, going to change the oil and check plugs bang a wheel bearing and hope to throw it on my buddies dyno and see what she makes,
Congrats bro.
Must feel great!
I would heed Tom's warning though rather than drive it, juuuust incase.

'Wouldn't wanna end up in my boat.

Edited to add: ... so definitely have your buddy tune it sooner than later so you know you're all good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1turbofocus your right driving it and listening it was getting detonation mid range around 4500rpms
I was looking at the timing and its high 35 degrees sound about right? I was curious and pulled the tune and loaded the stock to, While not as fast no pinging, so for now till i log a bunch more miles on this mongrel time will tell. A/f Look good plugs look great, and

I'm working on a little magic for guys with xcal2

·
FF Affiliate
30,660 Posts
No 35 is WAY to high depending on what the throttle and load is

What I am worried about is the detonation your not hearing that is present

Tom

1 - 20 of 27 Posts