Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I NEED SOME INPUT PLEASE!!!!
I'm still thinking about which one to buy but I am leaning more towards the pipercross for $225 (aluminum rather than carbon fiber) because the induction hose isn't right next to the ground like filter on the aem. I have seen the dyno for the aem with a good torque increase between 3000-4500? with peak @ 4.9ft/lbs and have read many good reviews on the aem but almost none on the pipercross, so I don't know what I should do.
Would the pipercross be almost equivalent to the aem as far as power gains?

Also, the induction hose which attaches to the filter feeds down to just behind the lower grill so it would appear that it would have a much lower risk of hydrolock or sucking in water or becoming water soaked. True?

The only issues that would be a problem would be that the pipercross system retains the black rubber hose that comes out of the throttle body, and that I would have to cut part of the battery box to feed the induction hose down to the lower grill.

Lastly, for those who have had a pipercross and an aem cai, are they equally as loud or what are ya'lls experiences?
I have read that the aem has a slight whistle at half throttle or so and that may get annoying. The pipercross's induction hose is not metal but a plastic sort of hose, so I'm assuming that the sound would penetrate more into the engine bay and therefore into my ears? Right?

For those of you who have either intake, how often do you clean the filter on either?
every oil change perhaps?

Thanks

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
You are going to find a lot of people come back to you saying to go with the AEM, cause its pretty popular and not as many people are using the pipercross. But my vote would be to go with the pipercross because you have the option of pulling cool air from down low (or wherever you like, actually), or pulling it up into the engine compartment during inclimate weather and not risk sucking in undesireable stuff.

They are good quality and actually dont have to utilize the stock hose to the TB...you can get a smooth piece through McNewsAutomotive.com for a few more bucks and they come in different colors.

The filters are the same in maintenance, you should only have to clean it every 2 or 3 oil changes...depending on how much dust and dirt your car sees.

As far as power gains, here is a link to tests done w/ that intake on a zx3, just to give you an idea: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=31139

I would think the results would be similar on svts.

Thats my two cents...now its time for all the AEM votes.........

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I like the fact that the pipercross can be both a SRI and a CAI but I'm worried that it retains the rubber kinky hose out of the throttle body that will drain some power. I think you can buy a different hose but its like $90...too much for me. Hmm, some definate gains on the link up there. Would the bypass valve be a good thing to get if I'm worried about water for the AEM?...cause I read somewhere on here that it lessened the gains by a significant amount.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
In all honesty though, the gains to be had with just the intake are minimal, certainly sounds nice though. so to nit pick about 1or 2 hp is kinda silly.

the bypass will help with the hydrolock if thats the route you choose to take.

as far as the hose to the TB on a pipercross....I know there are smooth ones out there. McNews had them on their site, but not listed any more, and they werent that much money at all. I would call and see if they have any laying around...if not, you can get yourself a prebent piece of metal and a coupler w/ clamps from PepBoys and do it that way. I have seen an isle where they have piping and such to build your own intake...so dont sweat the hose, there are solutions out there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, I actully emailed mcnews and the pipercross intakes aren't up on the new set yet but they still have em. Would buying the smooth piece for the hose out of the throttle body make that much of a difference. I've heard many times that it is bad to keep it. Not too serious but I'm still wondering how loud both the aem(have an idea) and the pipercross(not much of an idea) are. Input? Would the pipercross be louder?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have a Pipercross Viper and I love it, though in all honesty if the aluminum one was out when I bought mine I would of gotten that one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dubalicious, how's the power gain/loudness/ease of install etc?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah I like the price of the the AEM, but I am paranoid of water getting into it. The Pipercross Viper seems like a nice system, and yes I would definetly get the smooth hose too. I would also like if the induction hose didn't look like the back of your clothes dryer, the picture on the pipercross website looks a lot nicer than the ones I've seen installed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I completely agree with you Dussin. My dad has an 06 GTI and wow i definately wanna make my svt faster and have MORE TORQUE but without boosting it. I think a cai is the way to go, but I still don't know which one to get...Have an ugly but effective pipercross or a pretty aem with a filter 6 inches above the ground. I just don't know

·
Registered
274 Posts
I guess we are in same boat too. I hear the Pipercross is really effective, better than the AEM. If you go to the Pipercross website, the induction hose looks a lot nicer, maybe they just upgraded it recently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts