Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pioneer's newest head unit is now shipping. The cool one that can do Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Anyone planning on getting this? Someone with the 8" screen be my Guinea pig?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ordered it this afternoon, should be here Thursday. I expect to do the install on Friday.

I have the Metra kit, and I will be using an ASWC-1 for steering wheel controls.

From what I DO know is Android Auto is NOT enabled by Google for another two weeks or so.

I'll be sure to get some pics up on here for you though and maybe a quick review.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your phone also needs to be running Android OS 5 or higher, from what I hear that's only 3% of devices out there.

Please let me know when you get it in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, the launch of Android Auto kind of coincides with the launch of the HTC One M9 dev edition, which is what i plan on getting. So I will be able to give you some opinions on the headunit beside Android Auto until then.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I subscribed so I don't miss your feedback.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah, the launch of Android Auto kind of coincides with the launch of the HTC One M9 dev edition, which is what i plan on getting. So I will be able to give you some opinions on the headunit beside Android Auto until then.
Please post pictures and let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Signing up to follow this one! [cool]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the Car Audio section for a better "fit"/more views.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I Installed the NEX4100 this evening, along with Metra's ADBOX2 and ASWC-1 to retain steering wheel controls.

I didn't take pics yet, but one thing I WILL tell you that bothers me about this headunit, and I'm not sure if any other Pioneer headunits do this (I know my AVH4700BS did not), but upon start up there is a splash screen that tells you not to look at the screen while driving and you have to hit OK every time. I hope they patch this out, quite annoying.

I dont have the m9 yet (as it is released on April 10)

I DID try a 1tb USB hard drive, and my FLAC files work flawlessly on this headunit.
I'm very excited to never have to use my Ipod ever again!

The display is very pretty, i love the smooth surface opposed to the old matte finishes of the cheaper models. Still don't know why its not even 720p consider it IS 2015, but i digress.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I assume you got the steering wheels controls working? I finally installed the 4100NEX in my Focus but no matter what I do, I cannot get the steering wheel controls to interface with the unit. Mine is a 2012, and I'm wondering since it was a job 1 if something changed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Advice for a first timer trying to do the same?

I am looking to do the same and have a couple questions.

1) Which stock audio system did you have? I have the base system with SYNC, but no myford touch.

2) did you not need the AX-ADF02?

I'm kinda new to this whole replacing my stereo thing and don't really know what I need. I want to be able to keep my steering wheel controls to answer the phone/skip track/change volume etc. I don't care if I keep SYNC functionality seeing as in I plan to take advantage of android auto.

I'm just looking for a little help on what I need to get this going[?|]

I Installed the NEX4100 this evening, along with Metra's ADBOX2 and ASWC-1 to retain steering wheel controls.

I didn't take pics yet, but one thing I WILL tell you that bothers me about this headunit, and I'm not sure if any other Pioneer headunits do this (I know my AVH4700BS did not), but upon start up there is a splash screen that tells you not to look at the screen while driving and you have to hit OK every time. I hope they patch this out, quite annoying.

I dont have the m9 yet (as it is released on April 10)

I DID try a 1tb USB hard drive, and my FLAC files work flawlessly on this headunit.
I'm very excited to never have to use my Ipod ever again!

The display is very pretty, i love the smooth surface opposed to the old matte finishes of the cheaper models. Still don't know why its not even 720p consider it IS 2015, but i digress.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had 6 speaker with Sync. so what you have. Unfortunately, Ford made the steering wheel controls tied into Sync. So what the heck does that mean Cow? LET ME TELL YOU!
A) Ford made it more expensive for us, because YES you do need the Adboxhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FMSC8KU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the interface cables Amazon.com: AXXESS AX-ADFD02 - Interfaces - 2011-UP Ford Axxess ADBOX Harness: Computers & Accessories and FINALLY the ASWC-1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4PJC9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and LASTLY the kit to enable you to use an aftermarket headunit, this also controls the Sync screen. Amazon.com : Metra 99-5827B Double/Single DIN Radio Installation Kit for 2012-Up Ford Focus : Vehicle Audio Car Mounts : Car Electronics

Unforuntately, if you want to maintain steering wheel volume and track controls, that's the only way how. Secondly, you will NOT be able to hold onto steering wheel controls for phone calls, you will have to use what ever headunit's phone system it has. I have the NEX4100, so i just have to tap the phone button on screen..its life..such is aftermarket audio no? (Or in Android Auto say "call Bob Joe")

If you dont want to drop all that cash, and dont mind losing steering wheel functions.
Scosche makes a dashkit, but does not retain Sync screen or functions. Amazon.com: Scosche FD6200B Double DIN Dash Kit for Select 2012 and Up Ford Focus Vehicles: Electronics

Im SO more than happy to help, and Ive been planning on (its been two weeks now...oops) to post a walk through on how I did my audio system, and the NEX4100..and the mystical Android Auto!!! whoOooOooo!

Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts