Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a couple ?'s for those of you with newer pioneer HUs.

1.) do I need an antenna adapter? I'm NOT hooking up Satellite or HD radio.
2.) If you use your ipod/aux inputs, do you hear an audible whine such that you needed to use noise filters?

thanks! Pics when it's installed.

-Dave

·
Registered
168 Posts
1) If your car has a standard antenna jack then you should not need an adaptor.

2) Yes and no. No on most of the Pioneer's I have owned (I've owned quite a few Pioneer head units over the years). Yes on the few that had a bad PICO fuse, but it wasn't just on the ipod/aux inputs, replacing the PICO fuse resolved the whine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the factory blau radio. I'll have to check if this has the standard antenna or not.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Most of the newer Pioneers have USB ports and control iPods directly, or use memory sticks with MP3s on them. I have the DEH-P5000UB and its an awesome HU. Built in USB. Support for XM/Sirrus add on etc etc. As for needing an adapter, depends on your model year. I wanna say 2005 and newer use the normal plug, and anything older needs the adapter. I bought from Crutchfield, so they simply sent me everything I needed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hawkeye,

I just bought the same HU. I've seen your pics with the sony xplode stereo bezel. It's pretty smooth. Yeah, I checked my car today and will be needing the adapter. $5 at crutchfield isn't so bad...

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
If you use your ipod/aux inputs, do you hear an audible whine such that you needed to use noise filters?
I have the ipod cable in mine, and no engine whine. I need the antenna adaptor, but didnt get one. Ipod ftw!

·
Registered
936 Posts
hawkeye,

I just bought the same HU. I've seen your pics with the sony xplode stereo bezel. It's pretty smooth. Yeah, I checked my car today and will be needing the adapter. $5 at crutchfield isn't so bad...
Yeah, that bezel was the best $75 I ever spent on my car I think. I need to get in there with some acetone and see if I can get rid of the Sony logo. I've been half tempted to fill in the cracks and make it look smooth, but a big part of me refrains because its such a rare part. Now if I can ever vacuum form it and try and cast one just like it ... then we might be on to something. :p

As for the adapter? WalMart, BB, etc etc usually carry them. They're generally listed as a Ford (or *maybe* VW I think) antenna adapter. No need to wait for it from Crutchfield. And I think you're gonna be really happy with the HU. I don't personally own an iPod, but I do have a 4gb thumb drive plugged into mine, and the long cable (Yes it came with an extension cable, such a nice touch) is routed into my glove box. Works perfectly for me.

I've also thought about going to town with the dremel and some bondo/fiberglass and putting in an SD or CF card reader somewhere in the radio bezel, so I could just as easily swap out cards. I don't want the USB port on the bezel so much ... I don't want a thumb drive sticking out like that, seems ugly to me.

We'll see what happens as I have more money/free time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a Pioneer DEH-P600UB for my 07 zx5 and the antenna doesn't seem to work ( Female to female from what I remember ) I never bothered to fix it because all the radio stations here suck.

No noise in my system coming from ipod/aux. If you're hearing this do you have a bad ground? That'd be my thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts