Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im lookin at pioneers Premier and Regular HU

the 6800 VS the 680P

want i want to know is whats the difference? its hard for me to tell all i notices is the volt on the premier is 4 where as the pioneer is 2.2

anyone know what one is better to get?
i got a single 12sub and amp comin and need a new HU(not need want)

any help would be great

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
I imagine that the output voltage is the primary difference and worthwhile to get IMO. The higher output voltage would allow you better tuning flexability for your amp(s). I wonder if the Premier includes a better warranty as well?

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Yes, the Premier offers a 2 year warranty vs. the 1 year on the Pioneer. The output voltage would be the other difference. What the higher output voltage will do for you is make the signal coming from your hu stronger, which means that the amp(s) will get a cleaner signal and be more efficient...you wont have to turn the gain on the amp(s) as high to get the same output.

The other difference that I saw on Pioneer's website is that the Premier version retails for only 10 more than the regular Pioneer. Based on that and the other differences, you should most definitely go with the Premier version.

Mike

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks fellas, yea it is only 10 bucks more, so i think ill go with that then, im so happy its been like 2 or 3 years since i got my last one, the 2500 pioneer

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
That was my first aftermarket hu too...had it in my Beretta and had originally had it in my Focus too...but I definitely moved up the chain now...I have the Premier 880PRS...

BTW, great choice on the hu, Pioneer's stuff has leading the pack the last few years, only because Alpine has started offering less and less in their hu's...

Mike

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea 2500 started in my olds for like 2 weeks, then got my tracer, then to my fofo, its been used, its dirty, ooo and its going in a explorer friday, my friend is buying it from me, for a good price too 80 bucks with the wiriing and kit. 680p it is, cant wait i oredering it today,should be here soon as well as my sub amp and sub box all by this friday, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Let me know if you need any help with the hu or the install...I've torn my car apart enough times to know it well. [thumb]

Mike

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks mike, i just ordered the 680p, hopfully itll be here weds, maybe earlier comin from Pennsylvania to mi. anyways i cannnot wait. only thing ill have trouble is doing the wiring which shouldnt be to bad i got electrical tape on my desk [:D]

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
I hope you are joking about the electrical tape, based on the grin...but yeah, don't go that route, unless you want to potentially see the SPI go up in flames...

Mike

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so your saying when i wire up the connection points to not use electrical tape? cuz i was actaully plannin on doing that, place in town souldered my last one the wraped it with electrical tape.....

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
If you solder it first, then wrap it in electrical tape, you should be fine...but if you could get some small heatshrink, it would be better than the tape, which is the way I would do it for my own installs and installs for friends, but while working, I would most likely just use the electrical tape, it goes quicker. Either way works, but for the most protected connections, heatshrink is the way to go.

Mike

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wha tkind of heatshrink should i get mike? and wehre from local hardware store or like a walmarts?

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Either should work just fine, make sure to get 1/8" diameter stuff, that should work the best. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Mike

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its pretty easy to figure out then?

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Yeah, on the harness that you buy from Metra or Scosche, the colors will match up with ones on the harness that comes with the hu, pretty straight forward. I sent a pm to you with my cell number, call me if you have any questions while installing it.

Mike

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^cool beans mike, i just got those plastic caps that you put the wires in after ya twist em, then u crimp it with a crimper and it worked well, and was cheap as well.
thanks for all the help tho, i cant wait to meet ya at FITF
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Yeah, I'm looking forward to FITF too...glad to hear things went well for ya. I've used those caps before, they do work well.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts