Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here that has pinging on their pre-tuned car running a custom/canned tune? Have you gotten enough performance gains, reduction of pinging, etc. to call it worth it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
What are you referring to by "pinging"? Are you possibly commenting on the noise from the direct injection motor in the Mk3? They are very tappy when compared to some port fuel injection motors.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you referring to by "pinging"? Are you possibly commenting on the noise from the direct injection motor in the Mk3? They are very tappy when compared to some port fuel injection motors.
Pinging as in spark knock. Datalogs have shown it is pinging unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If you've got a pinging issue, as opposed to the "occasional light knock" mentioned in the owners manual, it might be something to have checked under warranty if you're still within it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you've got a pinging issue, as opposed to the "occasional light knock" mentioned in the owners manual, it might be something to have checked under warranty if you're still within it.
I am under warranty and have brought it in. They could not hear it or detect it.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Then maybe you're reading datalogs wrong?

Post up a log and maybe together we can see what you're seeing.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm going to throw this back into the duratec TiVCT section for more looks from folks with tunes on their MkIII's.

Even though it's a tuning question, that might help more with the original question on "tuned" results.

These run at the edge of pinging regularly in stock tune, aftermarket will move you away from that a bit from what I've seen reported.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Call Tom, send him a datalog, load his tune, be happy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm going to throw this back into the duratec TiVCT section for more looks from folks with tunes on their MkIII's.

Even though it's a tuning question, that might help more with the original question on "tuned" results.

These run at the edge of pinging regularly in stock tune, aftermarket will move you away from that a bit from what I've seen reported.
I'm on revision 2 with tom (loading rev3 tonight) and I see no knock while datalogging.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm on revision 2 with tom (loading rev3 tonight) and I see no knock while datalogging.
I have Tom's tune, this is why I asked the question, because if I have stock pinging, is it even worth having spent the money for a tune if I can't get any more timing for performance? I can hear the pinging, and he has confirmed it is pinging. Tom has told me the knock sensor PID in the datalog does NOT work, according to SCT, so you can't rely on that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have Tom's tune, this is why I asked the question, because if I have stock pinging, is it even worth having spent the money for a tune if I can't get any more timing for performance? I can hear the pinging, and he has confirmed it is pinging. Tom has told me the knock sensor PID in the datalog does NOT work, according to SCT, so you can't rely on that.
Are you kidding me? What are they waiting to make the KS PID work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts