Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I understand completely, but dont care that i may not recoup any of the money. I think most people know that when they sink money into their car like that, theyre not going to get it back. If they dont, its a lesson learned. Its greatly appreciated though that someone like you found that and shared it. At least the people on here will be well informed. [thumb]

·
Registered
703 Posts
b16sir1991 said:
I understand completely, but dont care that i may not recoup any of the money. I think most people know that when they sink money into their car like that, theyre not going to get it back. If they dont, its a lesson learned. Its greatly appreciated though that someone like you found that and shared it. At least the people on here will be well informed. [thumb]

...agreed...

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
i think most of the people on here know they wont recoup the cost of their mods but i see a lot of cars around town priced really high because theyre modded, they never sell.

·
Registered
25,620 Posts
I do my mods to enjoy my car whileI own it. I ownly ever kept track of all my receipts on one bike.. WOW! never again. Its all about wheteher you enjoy it or not.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What strikes me as funny is that with all the references to people loosing money, no one has mentioned the part about making it unsafe. Maybe it's just me being "old", but like the article referenced - cars not designed to handle a 26" rim will have issues down the line.
But they’ve prompted some to worry that they “cause a lot of undue pressure on the braking system” and stress on shocks and the suspensions system that were not built with them in mind, says Bell. This could create expensive problems for their owners in a few years, he adds.
Let’s say you’re driving a hopped-up car that your insurer doesn’t know is altered, and while trying to pass another car you lose control and hit people standing at a bus stop. The insurance company might try to get out of paying, arguing that the loss wouldn’t have happened if the car hadn’t been modified in an unsafe way, and that you, the policy owner, have essentially committed fraud, says Ellen Anderson, president and owner of Illinois-based Rally Insurance...

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I just hope I'm not one of the people standing at the bus stop. I know I won't ever be the person driving an SUV with 26" rims.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SVT4ME said:
I just hope I'm not one of the people standing at the bus stop. I know I won't ever be the person driving an SUV with 26" rims.
I'm with you. I guess I'll just live without this kind of "status".

·
Registered
153 Posts
^^ LOL...yeah, me too! Unfortunately, that's all you see in South Florida...if one of these people had an original thought about how to "modify" their vehicles, it would be a miracle!

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I like cars period, anything aftermarket, that flows together I like. Anyway....

its true what that article said, when you drop a truck/car so much, and add airbags and all that, its really not worth anything. If you don't find someone that wants to buy it, then you are SOL if you want some money back that you spent on it. Your best bet is to only do mods that you can take off when you sell.

Wild paint schemes, shaved and molded body kits, stuff like that.....you really are throwing your money away, but it sureeeeeeeeeee does look purdy.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I knew when I started modding my car that I wouldn't get any of my money back. It doesn't matter to me. I know there is a guy that has a modded ZX3 around here 02, 70K + miles with he says $5K in mods (don't see it cept for a body kit) and wants $8000 for it. Not gonna happen and he has been trying to sell it for over a year now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i don't get my money back?!?!? LOL! I still am going to do my wide body and 300 hp

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
see what they dont say is that you can still take off the aftermarket parts and put back in the factory parts, sell the aftermarket parts for a less price than you bought it for and recoup SOME loss. Also engine work could be sold for more to fellow tuners like a turbo or supercharger or built up engine can always be recoup to some degree (not full value but higher value than say a intake). But it is true people try to sell 'tuned' cars for relatively more to try to recoup their paint work and body work, umm sorry dude it don't work that way :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts