Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey!

since no one can get the Noykia Hyper yellows.. *everyone being.. local autozone, vip, napa, advanced, blah blah blah* they have Pilot bulbs for the fog lights.

they have a real dark Blue to them in the package.. seem mroe like a driving light. would they be an Ok replacement for the stock bulbs and not cook my light its self?

Stock bulbs : 55W Philps H11. Pilot has a bunch of diffrent W's 37.5-100

thanks

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
You wil want a bulb that matches the same wattage to stock.

I will be honest, those bulbs are going to be white. No blue to them and only a bit brighter then say a halogen and close to a silverstar. I would order them offline and get the nokya.

The Pilots won't be much better then what you have now in your fogs. That's my own opinion.

Hyper yellows in fog's will always trump a white bulb.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, if i could get a hold of the hyper yellows or anything Yellow i would. being a black 06, it would look real good, and i have brand new light assembly to put in with the new bulbs... then im going to Rebuild my old cruddy ones ;)

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
WD, If he's truly looking for a "fog light" bulb something on the yellowish (less than 3000* K) side is more preferable to reduce glare (also lower wattage or actually less lumens is generally more helpful as well). Yellow light will reflect off rain and snow to a much lessor degree than a white light source will. Those bulbs you pointed out would however work much better in a driving light. In my Hella 500 fogs (with yellow lenses) on the rally car I never used more than a standard Hella 55 watt bulb. My driving lights had as much as 130 watt bulbs.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I did see in their write up;
"We recommend this bulb for fog lamp use only! It is very, very yellow in color from all angles."
But, it appears they could be referring to the color and not necessarily the wattage being compatible with fog lights.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
^^ This isn't rally racing..........

Finding a GOOD "fog bulb" for a decent price to just upgrade won't be too easy.

The wattage isn't always a key factor more watts means brighter......but with an OEM setup a set of nokyas will suit the job more than fine. DOn't like them get some yellow laminx fixed.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
^^

The wattage isn't always a key factor more watts means brighter

That's one of the biggest misconceptions in lighting there is. Wattage is a measurement of energy consumption and doesn't always correlate to usable lumination. Unfortunately we have adopted it as a measure of light output because the manufacturers won't always provide the lumen output of their lamps. That's the only true way to compare lamps....lumens!

For example a 100 watt bulb will not produce twice the light (or any where near it) of a 55 watt bulb (same kind of bulb, same manufacturer, etc. etc.). In reality its in the 30 to 40 percent area in all but the most efficent lamps for the above example. And the lumination levels between two 55 watt bulbs from different manufacturers can vary significantly.

And regardless of whether a fog light is used for the street or for rallying the highly desirable wide, flat topped, low reflective beam can only be maintained with a less intense bulb (yellow or white).

Here's an additional source of bulbs. Just click on the desired size and lots of options will appear.
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/bulbs.asp

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
I am fully aware of lumens....

So your telling me, that if i have two bulbs both 3000k same manufactuer....one 35 watts one 55 watts the 35 will be JUST as bright as the same 55watt bulb?/

(Thats a legit question i am asking bTW)

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I am fully aware of lumens....

So your telling me, that if i have two bulbs both 3000k same manufactuer....one 35 watts one 55 watts the 35 will be JUST as bright as the same 55watt bulb?/

(Thats a legit question i am asking bTW)

Without knowing the lumen output of each bulb its not possible to compare the two. But its highly unlikely to expect a 36% +/- increase in lumination based on the wattage difference between the two. I'm guessing that a 55 watt bulb will only be about 15 to 20 percent more lumination (brighter) than the 35 watt bulb.

I don't necessarily like using the terms "bright or brightness" as technically its measured very differently than light output (lumination) and means something very differently. But its become a common term used for lumination. I prefer the term "light output" or "light intensity" for generic use. For example a very low powered LED can put out a blinding light (brightness) but the lumination or measurable light levels at the same viewing distance can be next to nothing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you guys have a lot of wizdumb :)

i would order a set off line and such... but i dont have and dont want a credit card. thats why im trying to go threw a parts store.. i got to find the # of the local performance
shop.. see what they can do.

>personal note, i am pretty strong aginst credit cards... knowing many people that are now encased in spiraling debt because of fraud and misuse.

any other company make a Yellow Bulb?

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Credit cards aren't always bad. People don't know how to read or limit themselves.

I have two in college and have amazing credit BTW.

I am not sure go to a local store Advanced and see what they can do.

·
Registered
537 Posts
first off, you do not need a credit card, do you have a bank atm card? those work. i've been using mine for years. secondly, get an amex card, you have to pay off the balance every month and no interest, use like cash. it also sounds like you're the kinda person that could handle that. and thirdly, most shops in town can't get most of the cool stuff for our cars...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, i dont have any plastics except for like autozone rewards.. shaws.. that type LOL

went to all the local auto parts and performance parts places... 1 place could get the yellow bulbs from some MFG other then Nokeya.. and they were 80$ for 2. i was like woah no.

im going to start a new thread about a thing im doing now for it all..

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Many places will accept U.S. postal money orders. You'll just need to call the retailer to verify the order and total costs (shipping etc.) before you purchase the money order. The link I provided above carries stock bulb sizes in yellow as well. A pair of Yellow #899 (stock fog lamp size for most foci) Optilux bulbs (made by Hella) were about 20 bucks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts