Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does pillowball top mount's do or get you? Like Ksport's pillowball mount's. Adjustable camber & what else? Thanx for your input once again.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
You remove flex from the suspension while trading away some comfort. A pillowball top mount for a front strut, is necessary in my opinion, if you plan on going for performance with your suspension.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Found this basic explanation:

"Rubber Bushings
In stock form, almost all cars use rubber bushings in the suspension. The reason for this is that rubber bushings absorb much of the force produced by the vehicle's suspension when it is driven over bumps and road imperfections. This in turn isolates the occupants and provides a more comfortable, compliant ride. One of the issues with rubber bushings though is that, because they deflect more, the suspension can lose precision. This is generally not a problem for normal driving, but if a car is modified for better handling, a more rigid setup may be desired. Among the solutions to make a suspension more precise are urethane bushings as well as a more extreme solution, which are pillow ball mounts.

Pillow Ball Mounts
Despite their misleading title, pillow ball mounts are solid metal mounts that are used in areas such as the upper strut mount. The rubber normally used is replaced with a metal spherical bearing. Rather than deflecting from the cornering forces like a conventional rubber bushing, pillow ball mounts do not move at all. This translates into a far more precise feel from the suspension and steering.

Considerations
While pillow ball mounts definitely increase a vehicle's handling and steering response, they do so at the cost of comfort. The metal bearings will transmit far more vibrations from the road, which will make the vehicle less comfortable. They can also rattle and squeak. This may be fine if the car in question is not a daily driver and used for recreational driving or track driving. However, if the car is driven frequently on the street, pillow ball mounts may be too extreme."

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
My ksports have pillowballs. I've put a decent number of mines on them, and I haven't noticed them being any rougher (ride quality) or being any louder.

ksports do not come with camber plates anymore. They did once upon a time, but they haven't for a while. All you get is a pillowball top mount. If you can find DGR camber plates, they should fit.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
DGR doesn't exist. Ditto

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
What does pillowball top mount's do or get you? Like Ksport's pillowball mount's. Adjustable camber & what else? Thanx for your input once again.
I'll warn you about Ksport pillow ball camber plates, they only work on Ksport coilovers. When i bought my Ksport mounts, it was a new batch and they forgot to cut the adjustment in it be for sending them to me. needless to say i was pretty mad.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ thanx guy's for all your input. I saw those K-sport's on Andy's motorsport website. Wow, no more DGR. That was fast. Like HT-performance, or something?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts