Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my idea: Use a single gauge pillar piece and put the tweeter from a component speaker set in there instead of the gauge, and get a left drive pillar for the passenger side. Would that work, and has anyone done that? It would make the tweeters point straight at me and I'm not sure if that's a good idea for sound quality. I just think it would look nice and slick, custom looking.

Anyone done this and have pics, or am I out of my mind?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah, thats my biggest concern. On most compnent systems I've seen, the tweeter is giving the sound indirectly, bouncing off the windshield or just aiming off to the side. With this setup they would be pointing directly at you.

Anyone else seen this done before?

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
^^i know someone who has it like that and well...i dont like how it sounds, might as well just be a speaker cuz its in ur face, u wanna put it back so u get a crisp sound as it bounces around the car

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
not a good idea

the further away the tweeters, the better the stage

the only way they might work directed at you is if you have time alignment

having them in the a-pillars pointing across at each other gives the best overall stage, with or without time alignment

having them in the kickpanels directed to the center helps to even out the PLD (path length differences)

also keep in mind, the mids in the doors are extremely off-axis, so having the tweeters on-axis would not be a good blend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts