Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my brand new 2012 Focus SE sport, got it home, opened the hood and found oil spraying out of one of the solenoids on the top of the motor.
By the time I got it back to the dealer the whole engine was soaked in oil.
Broken rubber seal is the culprit. I had it for 1 hour and it's in for service.
Quality wasn't job one on the day mine was built.
I had 8 Chryslers in a row before this, and never experienced anything even close.
Not happy.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Not sure what I would do in your position. I do know I would not be dealing with anybody but the Owner of the dealership,

That is going to be a tough mess to clean up.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Out of curiosity... what day was yours built? (crossing fingers that it wasn't May 17th)
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've taken mine back twice, and I will be on three tomorrow. The doors are not lining up with the frame/front quarter panel plus the original hood latch issue. So far the car reeks of sloppy build quality. Unacceptable.

G

·
Wow man, sorry to hear. I had a transmission problem on mine on day 3..took it back and they had it back to me the next day. Been running fine ever since. Hopefully yours gets handled quickly and with proper care.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
I've taken mine back twice, and I will be on three tomorrow. The doors are not lining up with the frame/front quarter panel plus the original hood latch issue. So far the car reeks of sloppy build quality. Unacceptable.
Do you still have your '09 GTI? :-(

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wow, that's terrible.

But....how did you get it so quickly? You posted on 05/17 that you just ordered it, and the salesman told you 5-7 weeks (which is a bit on the quick side).

I'm not liking what I'm hearing here so far...

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Yeah I feel sorry for these poor souls and I hope they get their problems fixed ASAP. Unfortunately it's generally a good rule of thumb never to get the first version of any new model year car. The 2011 Fiesta is having its own set of issues too. So did the Focus back in 2000. And it's not just Ford. Go to safercar.gov and make some comparisons with other manufacturers. Any time a new version of a car comes out, it'll be loaded with recalls and TSB's for the first year it becomes available.

Anyway I hope these are just isolated issues and I wish all the daring new owners the best of luck. At the very least you'll be one of the first on the block to have these new cars.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Unfortunate :( I like the 2012 foci too :( hope there isn't alot of issues for it

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Can anyone else not read this thread or is it just me?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah I feel sorry for these poor souls and I hope they get their problems fixed ASAP. Unfortunately it's generally a good rule of thumb never to get the first version of any new model year car.
This isn't the first version of this car. It has been on the road in Europe for quite some time now. The only thing new is the 2.0 direct injection engine. So far mine has been flawless. Not a single issue. Build quality is top notch and the car performs superbly. Sorry to hear about the problems some of you are having. Anytime you mass produce something, there are going to be some issues. You will always hear about the issues and almost never hear about the countless models that are problem free.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This isn't the first version of this car. It has been on the road in Europe for quite some time now. The only thing new is the 2.0 direct injection engine. So far mine has been flawless. Not a single issue. Build quality is top notch and the car performs superbly. Sorry to hear about the problems some of you are having. Anytime you mass produce something, there are going to be some issues. You will always hear about the issues and almost never hear about the countless models that are problem free.
It's the first model year of the Mk3 in both the US and Europe, and while the Mk3 is loosely based on the European Mk2 I think there's enough new engineering that the first year glitch rule still applies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first post on this forum and I found this thread because I had the exact same thing happen on my new SEL. Actually, I'm not sure exactly which seal it was but it's at the dealer right now because there was oil leaking out in the same general area.

Other than this leak, which I noticed after driving ~200 miles, the car is flawless.

Can anyone else not read this thread or is it just me?
Yeah, I'm having problems with it too. IE won't load page 1 at all. FF shows me the first post and then hangs for several minutes trying to load something from "d.yimg.com".

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Anyone wanna take a picture of where this is happening? Also, its unfortunate, but really no matter how amazing your quality is, theres always going to be a few that have an issue or two, and sometimes ridiculous like this. Thats what happens with mass produced products. Even bmws, porsches, audis etc will have their fair share of problems amongst the litter.

As long as the engine wasnt damaged everything should be fine. Hell even if it was theyll just replace it. Good luck. Im still not really worried or doubting the quality of the new focus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The leak is on top of the engine at the end on the passenger side of the car. I didn't take a close enough look to identify what was what, just looked under the hood with a flash light, saw the fluid, and took it back to the dealer first thing the next morning.

I agree with you about not being worried or doubting the quality of the car, even though it is frustrating. When I bought my Nissan Frontier 10 years ago it also had a problem in the first week, but it was handled quickly and the truck is still running great after 180k miles. I'm expecting the same out of the Focus.

·
Registered
522 Posts
never to get the first version of any new model year car.
I really do not think this is the case!
The very few issues that have been discovered and posted in the last little while including this one are very minor. This issue of course would involve a huge mess to clean up, and the dealer should just give you another car. Ford might just ask to send the car back for inspection. The grounding issue with the Fiesta is again very minor. Unlike every Cruze built that have been recalled for steering and transmission issues, or Chryslers spontaneously burning to the ground!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
While it isn't a brand new model and has been for sale in Europe for several months, the cars we're buying here are coming from an assembly plant that hasn't been producing them very long. I think that's where these issues (fairly minor in the grand scheme) stem from.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts