Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts

this is my PAINTED ones, not e-bay crappers.... so mine doesnt have the silly chrome ring around the blinker... but you get the idea

Reactions: bergj1986

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zx360, rep added! I was thinking about painting my stock headlights, but I'm worried that I'll mess something up and have no headlights. I'm not a fan of the chrome rings either.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
you wont mess them up, here are some tips....

- sore the seal with a blade of some kind to loosen it
- start at the bottom fender side, you WILL mess the plastic up because its hot... do it on the bottom fender side, you will never get to see it...
- take your time, and get a hand from someone
- wear some damn gloves :p

it really isnt as hard as people think i did this with the help of my father after having double knee surgery and doped up on pain killers!

YOU CAN DO IT! [;)]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At what temp did you bake the headlights and for how long? Did you run into any rainbow-cracking on the lens after you finished? I read the entire 05-07 headlight painting guide and everyone seemed to have different outcomes and ideas.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
i THINK we ran mine at 300 for like 10 min. and no i have no cracking or anything on mine, look like new, just black... just dont force it, if its not coming off heat it for a bit again then have a go at it.... it takes time, 2 people makes it easier... but really i cant justify why people spend the money on the e-bay ones... its not that tough

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I baked them at 250 degrees for 10 minutes. The first headlight came apart no problem. I did the same baking method for the second headlight, PITA! It appears that one of the headlights was changed at some point (probably accident-related). Right now I'm masking off the turn signal reflector and sanding everything down.

Did you use gloss black paint?

Thanks again ZX360! Couldn't have pulled this off without you!

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
i used semi-gloss NOT gloss, i didnt want a ton of reflective light and stuff, but yeah 1 was easy for me one was a pain... glad to hear it came apart! make sure you seal them back up really good too and let them sit for a good while in some nice warm place! i let mine sit over night personally

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Does anyone have pics of these on a Infra-Red with SAP?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, start your own thread if you'd like to see that.

zx360, the headlights are back together, just waiting on the silicone to dry, I'll install them tomorrow. You were right about the semi-gloss black paint, looks awesome! Not so glossy that the headlights look cheesy but not so flat that it looks hacked.

I will say that the process sucked overall and I don't plan on doing it anytime soon on anyone else's car, one experience will last a lifetime!

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
lol glad to hear it turned out nice, put up pics when your done

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
AWESOME!!! now you just need the clear turn bulbs! i dont remember who makes them, but they are silver till you turn the blinkers on then they are amber and glow like oem my pics have them in them... they are awesome!

the car looks MUCH better! glad i could help and save you some serious cash then buying e-bay ones

·
Registered
259 Posts
AWESOME!!! now you just need the clear turn bulbs! i dont remember who makes them, but they are silver till you turn the blinkers on then they are amber and glow like oem my pics have them in them... they are awesome!

the car looks MUCH better! glad i could help and save you some serious cash then buying e-bay ones
The ones I have are blue instead of silver, but I'm guessing they're what you're talking about. They're Sylvania Silverstars.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
for the black headlights from ebay are they good product like can i run hids with 6k and not worry about dmg and i live in miami

·
Registered
773 Posts
i dont want them to fog up or get dmged by hids so if you have these headlights are they good

·
Registered
773 Posts
are the ebay lights any good i have 6k hids and i live in miami

1 - 18 of 18 Posts