Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 5652 Posts

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
lol that's the sexy exposure setting alright.....oh yeah hmm the wheels I need to buy. haha.
I sold and shipped those suckers off on tuesday. Guy practically stole them from me. $347 shipped. :(
Ah well, I need the money more than I need the wheels. Now I can get my door fixed after my hit and run one year ago. [headbang]

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
It's a shame that's my second least favorite Mustang body, because I agree, those GTs sound absolutely amazing, my bowling coach has one. I like the last shot of those three best. Did the HDR bug just bite you?

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Last one is also my favorite.

I've done HDR since I started. I'm trying to go above and beyond the normal, popular radioactive HDR and more into the realistic HDR. I don't see HDR as being a gimmick but rather another tool in my arsenal.

HDR goes with cars like gravy on mashed potatoes.

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was asking if this was the first time you've done HDR. I was just asking if you randomly decided to do some HDR shots, or if there was a certain reason behind it.

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
I get paid to take/edit pictures like this every day. Does that make me a professional photographer?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
I would say so.

A professional is someone who does something and is paid for it on a regular basis, no? and if you weren't a professional then you wouldn't still have a job now, would you? [:)]

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
I get paid to take/edit pictures like this every day. Does that make me a professional photographer?

Well that depends on your definition of professional. Some say that it's whenever you start getting paid for your work. Some say it's when you make your living off photography. It doesn't really matter...it's just a word.

sharing a few shots I took yesterday...tell me how crappy they are ok lol
Honestly they look a lot like typical mommy snapshots.

I see that you're shooting with a Rebel XS, same as me. I would get the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's good, but I didn't find it to be the miracle as some do. I would also try hard to understand the exposure triangle (ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed.) I see that you're shooting in "P" Program mode. I would make the jump to AV (aperture priority) and mess around with that for a while before messing with manual.

For example in the bird shot you shutter speed was 1/40 sec but your focal length was 55mm. As a rule the shutter speed should be no slower than the reciprocal of the focal length, which would be 1/55 sec in this case. If you go slower than that you often get blurry pictures because you (the photog) is swaying. I'm starting to see that in that picture.

Also, I'm not sure what you set your white balance too. It says manual white balance, but it's off in several of your pics...1 and 2 are yellow, 3 is pinkish, 4 is warm, etc.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
I believe you are a professional when you are:
1 - getting paid for your work on a daily basis
2 - Pay your taxes on such work ... not under the table
3 - Have found that the fun is more work then fun.
4 - market your self as a professional (website, blogs, pro-networks, etc)
5 - And know your equipment more than ever.
6 - And always have a backup plan ... Back up insurance, back up equipment and backup help.

I have ran into many o many of people in the field, and though many of them are real great at the craft, non of them market themselves nor do all the fun paperwork behind taking the photos.

In the world of media: Stills / video is just 30% of the work ... the other 70% goes to marketing, equipment costs, insurance and contract paperwork.

-Ray-

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
As for your shots ... yeah, I agree, the swimming pool shots look good ... but they are very everyday family shots.

-Ray-

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
I would get the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's good, but I didn't find it to be the miracle as some do.
Hey now... [mecry]

This is a serious question, just want to preface that. In your opinion, what's a better book for beginners as far as learning about aperture/shutter/light/ISO? Granted the only one I've read is Understanding Exposure, but he lays out what appears to be everything a beginner needs to know about achieving a creatively correct exposure. Is it a pro's book? No, but it definitely got me off on the right path.

Once again, not trying to be argumentative. If there's a better book out there, I will go buy it.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Light Science and Magic is a great book to understanding light and how a camera sensor interprets it. It is more of a amateur pro level ... but a good book.

-Ray-

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
I think ill stick with what I know and that is being a web & graphic designer, i suck at this :\ i am not a quitter however and it may drive me crazy not taking good pics lol....

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Hey now... [mecry]

This is a serious question, just want to preface that. In your opinion, what's a better book for beginners as far as learning about aperture/shutter/light/ISO? Granted the only one I've read is Understanding Exposure, but he lays out what appears to be everything a beginner needs to know about achieving a creatively correct exposure. Is it a pro's book? No, but it definitely got me off on the right path.

Once again, not trying to be argumentative. If there's a better book out there, I will go buy it.
I wasn't poking at you directly. Everyone on thephotoforum.com says the same thing about that book. I bought it and read it. It's decent I'll say that. I guess I'm just not as much of a book learner as I am a "fiddle around with it 'til it works" learner. I just learned by sitting there often late at night screwing around with my camera.

I think ill stick with what I know and that is being a web & graphic designer, i suck at this :\ i am not a quitter however and it may drive me crazy not taking good pics lol....
There's always improvement to make. Get the book. Read the manual several times. Maybe join here and read up! http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/

141 - 160 of 5652 Posts