Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that I have a coolant leak somewhere but I don't see the leak. After changing my oil I noticed my coolant tank was a little low so I poured in some coolant to a bit above the "MAX" line. I figured this shouldn't matter. Then after driving around doing errands I noticed that my temp was near max and the car was struggling. When I got home I saw that it was bone dry. The next morning I added coolant and idled the engine with no leaks anywhere. After another day of driving around the resevoir was bone dry again after noticing high heat. I was about to add some water I had in the trunk when all the coolant just gushed back in from the tubes on top of the resevoir when I opened the cap. It was full again. Now I'm confused. I left the car alone for a week and noticed it was nearly dry again when I looked before I drove off. I am really confused. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Should I just go replace all my hoses? I have a roadtrip coming up and I can't deal with this the entire way.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Find a friend or a shop with a pressure tester for the radiator and pressurize it cold and then look for the leak. Sometimes it can be a tiny pinhole and be very hard to find. Check the radiator itself and check all the hoses for wetness... Check the back of the rad. to see if it is spraying on the engine and evaporating.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
also check the resivor. I have a couple cracks in mine and the first time I used epoxy and it lasted about 7 months and then I had to redo it because it started pealing off, so this time I scuffed it up better. good luck

·
Registered
170 Posts
Check your thermostat housing.They crack and leak coolant,which runs down the transmission bellhousing and onto the exhaust.Didn't notice mine was leaking for three weeks until I left it in the shop for a few days and it left a nice green puddle right under the tranny.I removed the thermostat housing assy and found it had broken right where it meets the cyl.head.Part Cost me about $45 from Ford.Take out your battery and battery tray and the jobs pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
yeah my theromstat housing was cracked all around the part where you need to put the gasket. I guess ffrom talking to some frineds at ford that it's pretty common. Best way to check for the leak is like what viney said, pressure test the system will tell you reaaly easily where it's comming from.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
THERMOSTAT HOUSING, I had mine replaced just before I sold my car. I had the EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS that your having with my car.....

Seriously check that. I also had a 2001 for the record.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i had the same symptoms and i had a blown head gasket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts