Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more hash mark and it could have rounded to the nearest 100 RPM i.e., 4000, 4100, 4200, 4300, 4400, 4500

·
Registered
548 Posts
ha, i would never have noticed, but it's never gonna be an exact estimate anyway.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
It was helpful..
I was saying my 2012 is idling at 600rpm. well you reminded me that the hash mark is really at 625.. so i am at 640 rpm or so idle.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
It was helpful..
I was saying my 2012 is idling at 600rpm. well you reminded me that the hash mark is really at 625.. so i am at 640 rpm or so idle.
Thanks.
If you want to be exact, the minimum idle speed is 680.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or get rid of the smallest hash marks. 125 rpm increments is rather negligible.
Doesn't matter; it would still be a fractional system of 1, 1/2, 1/4, etc. Our tachs split the 1000 RPM range into eighths instead of tenths.

I'm from Canada so I'm used to seeing distances in tenths and hundreds:
e.g., "SomeTown 1.6km" (i.e., 1600m) or "Exit 44 800m" (i.e., 0.8km)

When I drive in the US and see distances like "SomeTown 3/8 miles"...I don't know...it bothers me. Sorry.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Doesn't matter; it would still be a fractional system of 1, 1/2, 1/4, etc. Our tachs split the 1000 RPM range into eighths instead of tenths.
I know. I just think they're breaking it down more than they need to. My Miata breaks it down into 1/4's which works fine for me.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you want to be exact, the minimum idle speed is 680.
Ran out and drove around just to see..Yup.
After a drive, I turned the car off and on to get into the 'test' mode and watch the tach. Funny how the digital tach is constantly jumping around (reminds me of A/C voltage from the wall)
So the center of my tach jumping around at idle is:! 680rpm. My analogue gauge is a little low, just like the speedo less that 1% though.

So the lowest I could pull it with dragging the clutch was 630rpm, which would get the car rolling with no gas pedal... LOL

The other funny thing was how blipping the throttle (in neutral) to 2,000 and watch the rpm fall and bounce. It could fall down to around 630 640. As I was doing that a few times, the idle started getting a bit rough all around.. eek!
So I stopped.

Glad you mentioned it. Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, if this is the biggest issue you currently have going on in your life
Dude, relax. Read the thread title; it's a *PET PEEVE*.

It's a small issue regarding, readability, aesthetics, ergonomics, and all that kind of stuff. I just find the tach too "busy" that's all. They could have done with just 5 hash marks (every 200 RPM) like the Audi and kept the tach clean while maintaining readability.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Dude, relax. Read the thread title; it's a *PET PEEVE*.

It's a small issue regarding, readability, aesthetics, ergonomics, and all that kind of stuff. I just find the tach too "busy" that's all. They could have done with just 5 hash marks (every 200 RPM) like the Audi and kept the tach clean while maintaining readability.

Have a great day!
Was intended in a light-hearted manner. No offense intended.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm from Canada so I'm used to seeing distances in tenths and hundreds:
e.g., "SomeTown 1.6km" (i.e., 1600m) or "Exit 44 800m" (i.e., 0.8km)

When I drive in the US and see distances like "SomeTown 3/8 miles"...I don't know...it bothers me. Sorry
Cut a finger off each hand and toe off each foot. The math will suddenly become easier (hospitals do it for most of us at birth). [;)]

PS DON'T do the thumbs!!!! You'll still need those!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
never seen "some town 3/8 mile" in the US, or in FL atleast... generally you'll get either whole mile numbers or as you get close say on the freeway most likely a 1 mile marker then a 1/2 mile marker... only time I've EVER seen fractions aside from that are call-boxes on the side of the road every so often, but then again I'm speaking for Florida, idk how the rest of the country is.

That said.. sorry Ford's world car isn't catering to everyone's individual tastes... having it split into 8ths is easy for me, I learned math using the standard system not the metric system, so... 1/8 1/4 3/8 1/2 is easy for me.

Maybe Ford is trying to introduce the standard system across the world ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts