Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
I've been reading the post on p1383, and I'm having that problem. My 03 SVT has been timed, and I did it using the standard bar and top dead center pin(referenced the extension in the #1 cylinder as well) and the VCT pulley at it's dead stop point. The car runs fine for about 5-10 minutes and then the VCT system(?) stops working and I get a pending code P1383 and a check engine light that comes on and may go out but the cam stays retarded(Dead stop timing mark). After clearing the code the VCT system starts working again 5-10 minutes it stops and the cam reverts back to dead stop timing spot. This loop happened several times. We've verified this using a computer that show the cam advance going from 0-48 degrees while driving for the first5-10 min and then 0-1.5 when it decides to shut down. Any ideas on how to solve would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just got done advancing the intake cam one tooth(forward/clockwise face engine from passengers side) and sure enough the code change from p1383 to 1381. I stopped and cleared code, restarted and drove for a few minutes and then got p1381 and p1383. Pulled back into garage, stopped car cleared code and restarted idled and revved engine a few times and got the p1381. My thought is had I driven I would've gotten a p1383 as well. Starting to think the phaser is sloppy but those malfunctioning are very rear from what I read. Any thoughts? One note is the vacuum went up about an inch with the advanced condition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts