Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed my Momo steering wheel and knew I would be facing an airbag light. My OEM wheel has a dual-stage airbag so I set out to grab a couple dual plug airbag harnesses from salvage yards. Doing research I soldered in 2.2 resistors in the first harness (in palm of hand in 2nd picture) and to my surprise, the light came on! Plugged the OEM bag back in before I broke out my CRP123 Diag Scanner and the light went out without having to erase codes.
So I ordered TWO sets of prepackaged dummy plugs.
  1. A plastic molded set (plugged in harness in 2nd picture)
  2. A handmade set from an Ebay seller in Finland (light red doodads in hand in 2nd picture)
I DON'T want cover up the light.
I'D LOVE to have a functioning passenger airbag while keeping this wheel installed. I know others have done this successfully. Anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Am I messing with the wrong resistance?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Crickets huh? I guess I'm on my own with this one... I've ordered 1.8, 2.0, 2.4, and 3.3 ohm resistors, because everyone and their grandma has reports of different values for the Mk1 wheel bag in my deep dive in search for the answer.

I'll update this thread when I receive and test them to find if any of those values work.

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
You can trigger the bag to detonate by probing it.

Use a LOW VOLT voltmeter that uses 1 1/2 volt battery instead of 9 volt and rig up something to extend bag away from you a distance in case it goes off anyway. It shouldn't at that low volt. How I measure them for ohm.

The legs off those pieces you use may be too small to make good contact and that low volt a citcuit will detect it instantly. I have had to double that thickness before by bending leg back on itself to make them tight as correct. Be your own judge there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chicken. In the UK they are 2.2,2.7,or3.3
Chicken really? Lol. 2.2 did not work here in all three ways. I ordered some 3.3 resistors, as I saw that number a lot as well.

You can trigger the bag to detonate by probing it.

Use a LOW VOLT voltmeter that uses 1 1/2 volt battery instead of 9 volt and rig up something to extend bag away from you a distance in case it goes off anyway. It shouldn't at that low volt. How I measure them for ohm.

The legs off those pieces you use may be too small to make good contact and that low volt a citcuit will detect it instantly. I have had to double that thickness before by bending leg back on itself to make them tight as correct. Be your own judge there.
I agree on the pin fitting, I was thinking about the legs of the red resistor kit aswell. The legs weren't a problem at all and rather good fitting with the black-boxed resistor kit (plugged into harness in 2nd pic in background).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts