Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this but here goes. I've been considering cams and cam gear for my next mod. So I thought I would take my car out and run her to see what her times actually are now. So I dug through my boxes and found my G'tech. I know alot of people don't like them but I think it's a good tool. I set out and did some runs, trying to learn how to launch a Focus with no lsd. It kinda sucks at first. I found the best was launching at around 3000rpms or so slipping the clutch. My best time was a 16.4 at 88mph in the 1/4 mile. Some how I had this magic number in my head 15.9. With the mods I have I was hoping for more than a mid 16 sec. run. I did spins the tires and I'm running like 40psi so I know that doesn't help any. I'm trying to decide if cams, gears and a tune by Wayne is worth it to even try and get close to where my spec v was when it was stock.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Work on launching it cuz with my set up now, and the temps is FL, im running 16.3. Albiet i was on a track where the traction was good....Cams, gears and a tune are the next "boltons" that you could do with out really tearing into the engine. You could easily get into the mid 15s with decent tires and launching at a track.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I feel it should be faster. The header and Flexpipe added the most go between my parts. Maybe with a little more pratice.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
when i feather launch (letting the clutch slip alittle) from 4k rpms i get my 60' down to 2.3s from 2.4s and 2.5s and it also gave me my fastest summer time of 16.3 so far....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try launching from 4K rpms today and lower my air pressure and see it that helps any. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out this evening and did some more runs. I found that my best times came from launching at around 2500rpms. I'm now able to do so without bogging and with a little wheel spin. I didn't make my 15 sec. run but I did pull a 16.06 at 91.7 mph. Close enough for now. I did run into a problem using the g-tech. Apparently my focus will hit 60mph at the very top of 2nd gear. So as I shift into 3rd gear it senses the shifting of cars body and kicks into 60-0 mode. ( I don't speed shift) Which is to measure how fast from 60mph your car will stop. This screwed me up a couple of times. So I have to shift at a lower rpm to counter the effect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts