Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and would like to introduce myself, my name is Chad and I'm out of Toronto. I just purchased a 2009 Focus SES Sedan with a 2.0L Duratec engine (automatic).

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on upgrades to give it a little more pep? I'm thinking a 15-30 HP increase. Somebody told me the best way to go is a cold air intake and a header in the inline 4. Is this the best route to go?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
welcome to FF, wel most of the guys and girls in here start with intake- exhaust then header. like i did. you should be up to your goal of 15 whp.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about that, thanks for the link to the other threads

I checked out focussport.com and seen some cool stuff, I was going to get a flasher but it doesn't work for the '09 yet.. I was told they are working on an X3 flasher.

Would it be better for me to get parts installed through a Ford dealership though? I just bought the car 2 days ago and I don't want to void my warranty.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You can easily install an aftermarket CAI urself, easy, save lotsa money, header on the other hand get a mechanic to do it. I wouldnt go to the dealership only cuz they are expensive. A header will void ur warranty tho! You will be losing your cat convertor. plus it will be illegal, unless you install an aftermarket header plus buy an exhaust with a built in cat convertor like the ones you can get at www.trubendz.com

·
Registered
152 Posts
hey i'm out of the brampton area, welcome to FF, MBRP makes a good exhaust system that way it keeps the cat and you could do the header, f2 makes a good one, You can also get ideas from focus meets in mississauga at aimco and mavis, i will grab the link for you later

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Welcome to FF Chad!! You'll find of lot great people here and lots of help too.

The suggestions above are the standard first steps to adding more pep and they are effective. After I found FF last May my new 08' has never been the same.

Here's another one - ground the Throttle Body!

I think I've done about all I can do performance wise until we can finally get a tune, check my profile to see what I've been up to.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
geezer,your warranty question has also been answered in those threads i sent you. please take some time and read through them all. some of the people answering your questions may not actually have the correct info for you. the people who created those threads i sent you DO know the answers, which is why they are in there as stickies in the first place. the threads arent there just to cut down on posts, they are there to actually help everyone here.

you will come to see that certain people have more expertise in certain areas. names to look out for are geezer, weeasp, mightymouse, grumpy, honhon, bradwhite, jetrinka, n2o, warneej, egz, among others. for example, jetrinka knows a lot about headers. egz knows almost everything about internals (he has the highest-hp n/a on here). honhon knows a myriad of stuff.

now, to address your warranty question, i have never had an issue with my dealer when i bring mine in, and i have mods. in fact, they have said they will install them for me. they will be doing my SS brake lines soon. for example, say you have a power steering problem, and you have modded exhaust and intake. they would have to show that those items directly caused the power steering issue. which they wouldnt, obviously.

it all goes to how good ur relationship is with your dealer. they control everything. build up a good relationship with the svc. mgr there, and you should be good to go in general. that might mean having them do your oil changes regularly, or a tune-up every now and then. just so you get familiar with them. but that relationship will go a long way when, say, your radio dies. which costs 450 bucks. ive had mine done 3 times now, all for free. out of warranty period. get what im saying?

oh, and welcome to the site.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for all the information! I will definitely read the threads about this and make a decision about what to add.

Cheers!

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
np, and dont be afraid to ask us all questions...PMs work too, as everyone is very helpful.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Welcome to FF, Chad. Currently for your 09, the only thing available for the intake is a Steeda SRI. Focus Sport will have a CAI available after the SEMA show, they are designing their CAI for the 09 for this year's show and will be releasing it for purchase after. The 08s and 09s are the same for exhaust as the 07. Trubenz and MBRP are the most popular and alot of people here swear by the Borla if you can find one - Mike at Hilbish would be the one to ask about that one.

As far as tuners go, they are being tested and tunes may be available as soon as one month (by hearing some people talking) and as far away as six months to a year.

There are several body kits available for the 08 and 09 and most are front lip, rocker molding and rear valance.

Other mods are coming slowly.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, whitefox, thanks for that info, especially about the exhaust system.
I'm checking out Steeda's site now, and it doesn't describe it as a SRI.. Can you guys let me know if it is in fact the SRI or something different? There is no picture description.

http://steeda.ca/_555-3143_Steeda_Cold_Air_Intake_2008_Focus_2.0.asp

As for exhaust, after talking to jetrinka I think I'll go with the Trubendz High Flow system. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I think its a good idea. lol

And yeah the Steeda intake is in fact an SRI. It puts the filter right behind the drivers headlight.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hehe, I thought you would say that :)
I was told from MBRP they are not sure if their exhaust kit works for '09 so I might stay away from that in case..

Looks like I'm going to go with a Steeda SRI, don't want to wait for an '09 CAI to come out lol.

I want to thank everybody for such a warm welcome to the FF group, in one day I've learnt so much about parts for my new baby :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome! I hope you have fun modding your new ride.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts