Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i know i have been asking alot of question (sorry) about forced induction where i can find a good price on the turbo kits tune and all that jazz. weelllll i have decided NOT to turbo my car
reason: by the time i get the money in a month or 2 to turbo my car, it will have 150,000 plus miles on it. not only that its my first focus/tuner so theres not need for me just to go all out not to mention that its my only vehicle. anyways i get away from the question that i was wanting to ask

im new at all this so bear with me, what type of "upgrades" or "mods" can i do with out doing forced induction to get my hp up? i mean any and everything. i know im going to replace my headers, as well as probably get larger fuel injectors. new clutch and looking for a new transmission (5spd) replacement. my gears grind a lil going into 3rd.

i'll probably replace my cams and cam gears, but i think thats it..unless im missing something.

so the main question out of this entire rant/post is this, what naturally aspirated upgrades can i do to make my focus fast...or faster....

thanks in advance for any answers.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Ok so i know i have been asking alot of question (sorry) about forced induction where i can find a good price on the turbo kits tune and all that jazz. weelllll i have decided NOT to turbo my car
reason: by the time i get the money in a month or 2 to turbo my car, it will have 150,000 plus miles on it. not only that its my first focus/tuner so theres not need for me just to go all out not to mention that its my only vehicle. anyways i get away from the question that i was wanting to ask

im new at all this so bear with me, what type of "upgrades" or "mods" can i do with out doing forced induction to get my hp up? i mean any and everything. i know im going to replace my headers, as well as probably get larger fuel injectors. new clutch and looking for a new transmission (5spd) replacement. my gears grind a lil going into 3rd.

i'll probably replace my cams and cam gears, but i think thats it..unless im missing something.

so the main question out of this entire rant/post is this, what naturally aspirated upgrades can i do to make my focus fast...or faster....

thanks in advance for any answers.
Hands down the most HP pick up/ Full SVT exhaust, header, Cat/ off road pipe, flex. And then there are a lot of options for cat back. 2.5" .
65mm throttle body, not so much for power, but throttle response.
At this point I would go with a closed , cold air intake system, like Ice Man. You could go CAI, like AEM, make sure to get the bypass valve, keeps the engine from hydro locking , if you ingest a good amount of water. You could also go with the SVT injectors. Then talk to Tom, aka 1turbofocus. Get his tune, that pulls all your upgrades together. Makes it all worth while.. I am sure others will chime in. There are a lot of options. Good luck.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Another good thing with Tom's Tune is he will provide "updates" as many as you need for further N/A upgrades, and if you go FI then its a "upgrade" to his FI tune.

After you do the whole Exhaust as mentioned above (C-F-M is coming out sometime next month with a new high flow CAT for the SVT) and intake then Cams would be the next best thing with CAM Gears so you can make even more use of the tune.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Step #1. Swap out your engine for one with lower miles (maybe even an SVT block).

Step #2. Boost.

Guarantee you'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinkin about the cams, I know jegs.com has a set for about 300+ bucks so its not that bad I'm also going to replace my clutch cause I can feel it slipping, but this brings up another question, my car grinds juss a lil going into 3rd where can I get a good tranny? I'm getting stage 2 clutch w/ new flywheel. So if anybody knows where ones at lol tell me

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Step #1. Swap out your engine for one with lower miles (maybe even an SVT block).

Step #2. Boost.

Guarantee you'll be happier in the long run.
From all the other posts of his, I believe cost is a factor. An engine swap on top of adding boost is out of reach.

HOWEVER

In the engine swap territory, there is a D23 motor for sale in on the site from Northern NJ that might be a good call if you're going for a full NA build and don't want to go through the hassle of rebuilding the motor from the bottom up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine swaps are a good idea but um working with a budget of about 5 to 7 thousand soooo yea lol that'll be hard. But will a D23 motor even fit in a zx3 03?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I was thinkin about the cams, I know jegs.com has a set for about 300+ bucks so its not that bad I'm also going to replace my clutch cause I can feel it slipping, but this brings up another question, my car grinds juss a lil going into 3rd where can I get a good tranny? I'm getting stage 2 clutch w/ new flywheel. So if anybody knows where ones at lol tell me
The same guy is selling a transmission. I believe he wanted a grand for the pair.

Before doing any modifications, though, make sure your car is up to snuff. Do all your maintenance and ensure you have a good foundation before you try to build.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car runs good, I mean I need an oil change but other than that it runs solid. I know sometimes when I, at WOT it feels like it jumps a little now I think that's my clutch but correct me if I'm wrong. Also the trans he selling is it aftermarket? Or is it the stock off of a zx3

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a pretty good deal there but my goal behind this current car is just to build what I have b/c ill either wind up selling it OR jus buying a new focus like a newer model and use this care as my everyday car lol
If I replace my knjectors to 60lb does that mean new fuel pump? And I knw a tune but how does this help w/o fi?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I can't imagine what you would need 60# injectors for on an NA build.

If you're doing a Zetec NA build then you will want an intake, exhaust, SVT header conversion, cams, pistons and rods, deck your head, smooth seam intake manifold and a tune. A throttle body is nice for throttle response and I like the MSD coil and wires for added fuel economy.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The tune is helpful because it allows your engine to take advantage of the mods and it changes your ECU to make it more concerned with performance than economy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you say "deck your head" what do you mean. And a smooth seam intake manifold TBH never heard of that

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The smooth seam intake manifold is the one out of the 2000 Focus. It flows better and the arms a little longer, which nets you about 1HP and 1ftlb of torque extra (a little more on a fully modded motor).

Decking the head means removing material from the bottom of your head to increase the compression ratio. The Zetec is a zero deck block, meaning that the piston comes all the way up to even with the top of the block. So, if you want to bump up your compression, you deck the head instead. And since it would be out to machine anyway, might as well port and polish and throw on a 3 or 4 angle valve job.

If you use a high lift cam then you'll also need to upgrade your valves and springs.

You can EASILY spend as much on an NA build as you would on a turbo, but only get to about 170 WHP vs 300+ WHP for a turbo. The best part of an NA is that you don't have to lay out all the cash in one go.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the smooth seam runners are identical in length. the ONLY benefit the 2000 IM has is for high boost. the 1 piece design is structually stronger and can take more boost pressures. you do not gain power NA from going w/ a 2000 IM UNLESS you port it out. and even then, its way less than 1 whp.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I'll differ to Brad on the intake manifold, then. I had heard differently, but he's built way more cars than I have.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, its a common misonception. they are better as the engineering design was better for materials, then ford found a way to make them cheaper and went w/ a 2 piece design. the volume of the runners is identical but you can't port out the 2 piece cause of design. i know the 2000 IM can hold 25 # of boost pressure, so thats pretty good, whereas the 2 piece can't, maybe 15-17

·
Registered
520 Posts
Go with the intake (not the manifold), Exhaust, tune, and if your doing your clutch light weight flywheel and light weight crank pully.
Don't do injectors espically without a tune same with cams.
Decking the head or doing cams makes this safe motor an interfierence motor :(
Cams for $300 well you would still need to do valve springs with them.
Not much to open up on the zetec

1 - 20 of 24 Posts