Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Performance over looks or vice versa? What do you guys think? Let me know your opinions and/or experiences!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I like the sleeper myself.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Performance first then looks unless the looks mod gives you better performance.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Why aren't you guys my closets friends lol. Er body I talk to about my focus keeps going on and on about rims, paint, audio, cherry bombs, bs bs bs... my car is going to remain looking like the beat up turd it does until I am satisfied there isn't anything else I want to do to it performance wise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I can't afford performance really, so I just try to keep my car maintained and clean. Added a new head unit (necessity, original broke) and dome lights but that's about it. But if I had the money, performance comes first.

·
Registered
522 Posts
For a daily driver...
1. Reliability
2. Performance
3. Cosmetics

*1 & 2 are subjective.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nixed - keeping it running right IS "performance", all the go fast goodies & appearance items don't mean squat if it doesn't work!

"Chrome don't get you Home"

"To finish first, first you must finish"

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a different angle to this since I am working in this car with my son. I would much rather spend money making it look fast than making it fast. I am sure that he would have a different opinion.

This is his first car so I have promised to help him with the performance aspect after he gets quite a few miles under his belt.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
I'm all about performance, but short of some suspension and a few bolt-ons, there isnt much you can do to the SVT to make it faster (sans force induction).

So, to a point, I'm a performance guy, but....

One day I was working on my motorcycle in the garage. Outside, I saw a father and his son taking their dog for a walk. As they neared my driveway, the kid pointed at my car and said "look dad! a racecar!"

That was more satisfying than any performance mod I've ever done on my car. So, as much as I love power, I also enjoy having a clean car that looks like business.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'd say performance but I do like a clean looking car. I'd say I'd keep performance number 1 but a ratio of like 3 performance mods to 1 cosmetic mod mostly carbon fiber interior stuff engine dress up and smoked accent lights.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
You want both but you don't wanna be a ricer about it either. Haha. Looks are great. Its what you see when you find your car in the parking lot between all those other dull looking things, then again, you're gonna get left behind if you look like you're ready to race but are running stock.

But! You're not building a track car, so make it reliable and make it lovable from your point of view. Performance is also stupid expensive so unless you are building a track car, don't bother too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm all about performance, but short of some suspension and a few bolt-ons, there isnt much you can do to the SVT to make it faster (sans force induction).

So, to a point, I'm a performance guy, but....

One day I was working on my motorcycle in the garage. Outside, I saw a father and his son taking their dog for a walk. As they neared my driveway, the kid pointed at my car and said "look dad! a racecar!"

That was more satisfying than any performance mod I've ever done on my car. So, as much as I love power, I also enjoy having a clean car that looks like business.
Viper said it very well.....I get a lot of compliments about the slick nice look for. [cheers]

·
Registered
50 Posts
My focus is in great shape. It looks new in and out, and its my intent to keep it that way. I have no intention of putting silly stuff like stickers and lowering springs on it. No body kit. I will upgrade to premium shocks and upgrade the bars and springs when I need to replace. I'm going to get a tune to let me completely turn off the ABS, stop the hanging throttle when I shift, and to hopefully fill in the soft mid range a little. I don't want to change its character.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I was flagged down by two guys in a van yesterday who asked me if I wanted to get the body work on my focus straightened out. First time that has ever happened. Told them I was more concerned with my performance than looks.

On a side note, I raced by bro the other night. Beat him- cannot remember what his ride is but its not for racing. He called me tonight and asked how he could lose to my focus but can beat a mustang. I love my stock car but I know it can be better..

·
Registered
753 Posts
Every time I see this thread I think its titled " over looked performance" as in things that can be done for performance that get overlooked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts