Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
For the rest - If you can squeeze 200hp from a naturaly aspired 1000cc bike engine. You should be able to squeeze 200hp from 1l turbo whit "relative" ease. ( durability is whole different story).
Extremely high RPM limit engine built with the need for speed in their mind vs economy compact car engine meant to shuffle people from point a to b in the cheapest and most reliable way possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Extremely high RPM limit engine built with the need for speed in their mind vs economy compact car engine meant to shuffle people from point a to b in the cheapest and most reliable way possible.
Yeah, i know that - Also the ford planned lifecycle for the ecoboost is 240 000km which is a lot more then what you can expect from a 1000cc sportsbike.

But - the idea of the topic was to "go over the top". Using some "rough math" if a bike engine can push out 200hp @ 12k rpm then whit similar tune-up you should be able to get 133hp @ 8000rpm - And then smack a turbo to double that. This are ballpark numbers based on the principle power equals work done in a time - so dont kling to it.

Is it sustainable in economy / durability wise? I highly doubt. Doable? For sure :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
At least someone gets it.

It surprises me that people would come to the “performance” sub-forum to only talk about its lack of performance..

We get it, it’s not an ST, but what’s wrong with trying to squeeze out ST numbers out of it? Or better yet what’s wrong with just talking about how to squeeze those numbers out of it?

200hp is nothing to scoff at for such a tiny engine even in the Ford Focus, hell the 2.0 NA engine only makes 160hp. With just a canned tune you get 155hp! With just a couple upgrades to the exhaust and to the intake you’re already hitting around 170hp. I don’t get how people don’t see the potential this engine has, there’s a reason it was the international engine of the year for 3 years in a row. Even Pumaspeed said at 215hp the engine still has more to go.

I just want to talk about that 215+. What ridiculous modifications would you have to do to get there? Like we know to get above 170, you have to upgrade the turbo whether you do that through Pumaspeed/Turbotechnic(UK) or CTI Turbo (US), but with that you’re looking at early wear to the stock internals which they do sell forged pistons and rods. So what about passed that? Thus, I presented my ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1 Posts
At least someone gets it.

It surprises me that people would come to the “performance” sub-forum to only talk about its lack of performance..

We get it, it’s not an ST, but what’s wrong with trying to squeeze out ST numbers out of it? Or better yet what’s wrong with just talking about how to squeeze those numbers out of it?

200hp is nothing to scoff at for such a tiny engine even in the Ford Focus, hell the 2.0 NA engine only makes 160hp. With just a canned tune you get 155hp! With just a couple upgrades to the exhaust and to the intake you’re already hitting around 170hp. I don’t get how people don’t see the potential this engine has, there’s a reason it was the international engine of the year for 3 years in a row. Even Pumaspeed said at 215hp the engine still has more to go.

I just want to talk about that 215+. What ridiculous modifications would you have to do to get there? Like we know to get above 170, you have to upgrade the turbo whether you do that through Pumaspeed/Turbotechnic(UK) or CTI Turbo (US), but with that you’re looking at early wear to the stock internals which they do sell forged pistons and rods. So what about passed that? Thus, I presented my ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile Pro
I like your enthusiasm regarding the 1.0 3 pot I love it too its a great little engine and the reason why I bought a fiesta to start with. In standard form it is lacking a bit but this can be easily fixed with a re map. I put a stage 1 map on mine at 2000 miles and it felt like a different engine and low down was much more punchy. My car was ran like that for 42000 miles before I decided it needed a bit more so I decided to go for the PumaSpeed 205 package and I am very happy with its performance now. My only concern is how long it will be before it lets go which is why I have started to look for another 1.0 with the intention of putting upgraded rods and forged pistons in it along with a light bit of head porting work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A lot of time went into my car, countless hours of WinOLS and some back and forth emails with Frieling-Racing and PumaSpeed - Finally got my car to about the max potential on stock internals and tested shortly with the turbocharger from the 1.6 Ecoboost. I hit just about ~200bhp, but I never saved the dyno graphs. It was short lived because I moved on to a new platform.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A bunch of logs were sent to HPTuners so maybe one day y’all will get some better tuning support.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts