Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2003 SVT Focus, the car has 69,000 miles on it. Last week during Hurricane Irene my car started lugging real bad. I got home and let my car idle in the driveway, where it continued to rain, and it started dropping RPMs and then stalled all-together. The next day it was sunny and warm and it ran flawlessly. Anyone experience these problems? THANKS!!

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
What kind of intake do u have on the car?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has the stock intake, could it be the plug wires?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Something ignition related is a good bet. Electricity and humidity/rain aren't on the best of terms. Broken ignition coil pigtail, arcing spark plug wire, cracked spark plug boot or cracked ignition coil would all be suspect.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Perhaps the MAF sensor was wet, too. It couldn't hurt to pop it out and spray it with some MAF cleaner.

Also inspect your ignition coil. If there are any cracks in the casing, that could cause similar issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the ignition coil where the plug wires come from? haha sorry I'm still learning

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Yes it is... pop off the wires (label them if necessary, but make sure they go back in the same spot), unplug the connector, and remove the four bolts holding it down. Inspect it closely for cracks and if you find one, replace it. Check that the wiring going into that connector isn't exposed or kinked right where it enters the back of the connector, too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps the MAF sensor was wet, too. It couldn't hurt to pop it out and spray it with some MAF cleaner.

Also inspect your ignition coil. If there are any cracks in the casing, that could cause similar issues.
Awesome thanks for the help! I also ordered Fswerks plug wires and Brisk premium LGS spark plugs with it, I saw that there are Bosch wires on there, and I've heard bad things about them

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is... pop off the wires (label them if necessary, but make sure they go back in the same spot), unplug the connector, and remove the four bolts holding it down. Inspect it closely for cracks and if you find one, replace it. Check that the wiring going into that connector isn't exposed or kinked right where it enters the back of the connector, too.
You were right! I pulled out the ignition coil as you said, and one of the pieces that held one four bolts on came right off, so basically one of the corners is completely chunked off. That creamy colored inside is exposed, now I need to find a new one, are they all the same or is there a better performing ignition coil???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts