Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor in the car I am getting is a Y2K 2.0 Zetec, currently putting out about 175 ponies. The FI was dropped for dual carbs (don't know the size--haven't actually picked the car up, yet).

Anyhow, i was wondering if the following parts were available, and if so, how much $, and what I could expect to see in terms of performance gains:
Lightweight pistons
Forged-steel cross-drilled crank
Forged-steel con-rods w/high-lift camshafts

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
yes those are all available, but, dual carbs on the focus?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Yes, carbs. He is getting a Lotus Super Seven replica car, and the engine in it is the Zetec Focus engine. If memory serves me right, there are no restrictions placed on this type of car when it comes to emissions-control equipment and stuff like that. Sure, it could be fuel-injected, but I bet it's probably a lot easier to just put some carbs on there rather than try to squeeze all the necessary bits and pieces into that tiny car.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
well then youll want a high rise manifold and such im sure then

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! It looks like a lot of great options are open to me... and that achieving that 20-30 hp gain from a NA motor is doable... as long as I am willing to spend about $3,000. I'll also have to get the complete specs to my car, as I am not sure what all is different about the motor. I know the motor is mated to a Ford Sierra 5-spd, and I have no idea what all that entails. It's going to be a great learning experience, that's for sure.

SVT4ME, you are correct! It is a Super Seven replica. However, the new models do have to meet all the same emissions standards as any other new car. This car is registered as a '68, so it is exempted. ;) There are many of these cars that have the fuel injection (it does fit), but there are trade-offs. From what I have read, there is a lot of hassle getting air/fuel mixture right with the FI, and has yielded good, if inconsistent results. The carbs aparently give good returns, but at the expense of added tuning difficulty. In fact, it sounds damn near impossible to get the carbs tuned perfectly. I am guessing the car-specific intake and exhaust manifolds lead to much FI tuning woe. I can't imagine many of the bolt-on bits for the standard Focus fitting into the tiny engine compartment of the Seven.

Anyhow, thanks, all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts