Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow Focus Freaks... Last night I was racing some random honda accord 00' I think. Anyways, we ran it twice I won of course both times but my launch was sooorrrry, I drive the 2.0 zx4 If someone could help my sluggish starts I'd be quite grateful.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Do you have an auto or manual?

If auto, your stuck unless you just keep modding it. If its a manual, you just gotta go out on some back raod or track preferably and just work on it. Its all about RPM and timing you have to work the clutch while giving enough gas to go but not to spin out either.

I am STILL working on mine, sometimes I get lucky and have a great launch but not paying attention and dont looka t the RPM and just go so i cant do it again if I tried.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I usally launch about 2000 or 2500 if i go to 3 i just lay down the rubber.. Like the guy said above me just keep practicing you'll find the sweet spot

·
Registered
649 Posts
In my stock 05 ST I like 2500-3000. There's too much tire spin if I just drop the clutch, plus it's not smooth, so the trick is to let the clutch out smoothly, but quickly so as not to waste time burning up the clutch. Feed more gas as you let the clutch out so you don't bog. The revs should climb smoothly. What you want for an ideal launch is just the slightest amount of tire squeal. Not a constant screech, but a few little chirps and you're off. That means the full traction capability of the tire has been utilized. And don't practice on public/busy roads cus you'll end up like me, and the times you get too much wheelspin will be the ones with a cop behind you [:(] Have fun!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have managed 5000rpm launches at the racetrack with minimal spin, but that is with the SVT suspension (notably, the rear springs), rubber spring stops, and drag radials.

On street tires, I'll be you can pull off ~3,000rpm if you slip the clutch out as you throttle it up. Don't just drop the clutch though, the wheel spin is only controlled by the throttle at the point and can get worse.

·
Registered
108 Posts
also remember to spin the tires in the water box to give em a little heat. that will help them adhere on the launch. you can also lower tire pressure a little to allow the sidewall of the tire to "flex" a little and that will help with launch also.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm...First thanks for the replies. Second it is a manual. I also have another question, I drive an se, so there is no tach, except for the digi one but even then its hard to see through the steering wheel when trying to race, or even drive for that matter. But what I'm wondering is why does my engine or car thump when i quickly shift into second, of course this only happens while I'm pushing it.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Its because of the loose transmission mount, ford made it soft to make the ride smoother. Get a V F rear transmission mount and that thump will be gone.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
The Grim Racer said:
But what I'm wondering is why does my engine or car thump when i quickly shift into second, of course this only happens while I'm pushing it.
Either the prothane polyurethane mount inserts or the VF Engineering lower motor mount will fix that. The stock rubber mount inserts are weak and allow the motor to slam back under hard acceleration.

Once you have the turbo, you might want to consider a real differential if you're going to be racing the car. That will take some serious time off your ET. Some small diameter light wheels with drag radials or slicks for the track wouldn't be a bad idea, also tighter suspension helps FWD cars maintain traction. If I were racing a ZX3 that I was driving, I'd also see about having some high rate taller springs made for the rear to use on the track. Yeah, FWD cars look funny jacked in the rear, but if it keeps the front wheels planted it will make traction. Keep the pretty wheels and regular springs for kicking it around town.

These tricks might help you maintain traction with a turbo and give you some great ET's.

·
Registered
649 Posts
joshco84 said:
also remember to spin the tires in the water box to give em a little heat. that will help them adhere on the launch. you can also lower tire pressure a little to allow the sidewall of the tire to "flex" a little and that will help with launch also.
If you're just racing on street tires (with tread) you don't want to spin them in the water box. Doing that will cause water and rubber particles to collect in the tread grooves, and they'll leak/fall out when you're waiting at the line, effectively reducing traction for the hole shot. Just let the dry tire tread do its job to give you traction.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
whynotthinkwhynot said:
Either the prothane polyurethane mount inserts or the VF Engineering lower motor mount will fix that.
Focusin:
"Its because of the loose transmission mount, ford made it soft to make the ride smoother. Get a V F rear transmission mount and that thump will be gone." Which of the three is it?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I prefer the VF Engineering mount, I call it a transmission mount b/c thats what it is but it is also called a lower motor mount b/c thats what others call it and its correct also.

This is the VF mount

·
Registered
409 Posts
I just did the lower mount, good stuff. Drop-in part is easier than getting the bushings pressed in or using hand tools.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know what thanks alot, I was looking at those on the focussport site. But I found an incredible site Thanks whynotthingwhynot and focusin. Stay focused

1 - 17 of 17 Posts