Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some old aluminum pedal covers hanging around in my parts bin for around 5 years that were meant for an older Audi A4. Given that basic rubber pedals that were on the Focus, I decided to try them out on it.

Well, they didn't fit exactly, the clutch and brake pedal bases are too short, but I managed to drill some other holes and get them on there. The clutch and gas pedals are plastic so they were easy to drill through. The brake pedal however is metal and required a lot more thought. In the end I used double sided tape and rigged a bracket to the backside for the brake.

They look decent from a far, but up close you can tell of my amateur hackery. They are more grippy than the stock rubber braces though, which makes for a nicer feel on your foot.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Looks really good. Nice job.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice work. I personally would be more interested in a dead pedal. I'd hate to see the spot left to the clutch wear prematurely.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I like having the gas pedal even with the clutch. On my prior car i made a rubber bit with a 'glove' (actuall from a glove) taht just was over the pedal. So it added about an inch in height to the gas pedal.
Loved it for the 12 years I used it.
I will do the same for my Focus. Otherwise the stock pedals are good enough for me. The foot rest on the Focus is a ways over off to the left.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a set of Sparco Grip (similar to yours) that I had on my Protege5. Set up was perfect for heel-toe: brake and gas were just the right distance apart and when the brake pedal was pressed, it was at the same height as the gas. Can't wait to add pedals to my Focus after seeing your pics.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice work. I personally would be more interested in a dead pedal. I'd hate to see the spot left to the clutch wear prematurely.
I agree - I actually use a small mat meant for keeping shoes in your closet or foyer to keep the dead pedal area clean. It cost around $5 at Walmart, the colour matches the carpet so it's barely noticeable and it has a rubber backing so it doesn't move around. I put it under the Ford floor mat and it extends far enough into the foot well that it protects pretty much the entire area not covered by the Ford mat.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree - I actually use a small mat meant for keeping shoes in your closet or foyer to keep the dead pedal area clean. It cost around $5 at Walmart, the colour matches the carpet so it's barely noticeable and it has a rubber backing so it doesn't move around. I put it under the Ford floor mat and it extends far enough into the foot well that it protects pretty much the entire area not covered by the Ford mat.
is there any way you can find a link to a similar mat so I can get an idea of how it looks? My floor mats don't extend all the way either and I hate the dead pedal not having some protection.

·
Registered
73 Posts
is there any way you can find a link to a similar mat so I can get an idea of how it looks? My floor mats don't extend all the way either and I hate the dead pedal not having some protection.
Sorry for the delayed response - busy at work the last few days. Here's an example from Ikea but you can find similar products at Wallmart, Target, Canadian Tire, Zellers etc. etc. I hope the link works but if not, just search for 'Boris door mat' at the Ikea website or the others. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not sure when the last time this product page was updated, but Autovation is where I got the pedals for my Lancer when I bought it. It says "all" model Foci, but I always like to hear what others think...

http://www.autovationparts.com/store/fordfocus.html

FWIW the ones I had on my Lancer were awesome and stayed in great shape, even after 6 Buffalo winters.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Autovation couldn't confirm if the pedals would fit the '12 so I'm going to make a template for them. They might fit, but they need the template first, then if they won't fit, they'll make a new style.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I submitted the 5 speed pedal templates I made to Autovation yesterday. Anthony said he'd draw up a design this week. I'm not sure how that translates to production, but sounds good anyways that they are on it.

I think they might want an automatic template. Probably just for the brake pedal / cover. If anyone is interested email Anthony at Autovation ( [email protected] )with information detailed like they want it here: http://www.autovation.net/new/pedal_template.htm

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just something I ran into at the parts counter last week....found that the Fiesta has some quite nice Ford accesory pedal pads (around $100, #8A6Z-2454-A) that could be trimmed/modified/cut/glued to the Focus pedals. I opted not to do it, just due to the fact i wasnt up for doing all that to a new car. But I am sure there may be some industrial types that could make this work. Why Ford would make some this nice for the Fiesta and not Focus is irratating though. Hope the ST will bring some options in near future.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just ordered the first set of 2012 5-speed pedals from AutoVation that they have ready to machine from the templates I sent in.

I ordered the matte aluminum w/ rubber inserts style.

I'll post pics and let everyone know how they fit when they come in.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I just ordered the first set of 2012 5-speed pedals from AutoVation that they have ready to machine from the templates I sent in.

I ordered the matte aluminum w/ rubber inserts style.

I'll post pics and let everyone know how they fit when they come in.
COOL! Can't wait to see how they work out!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts