Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I eventually want to do away with the PCV system. I've seen a few threads/builds where people have made an adapter plate for the crankcase coming off the block and routed it to a catch can or their exhaust system. I'd like to do this as well, but I'm still a little confused about the specifics at this point. Once I have it routed it to the catch can, then what? What's the best way to do this? Also, I have a breather filter off the valve cover, should I keep that there or incorporate it into the catch can or what? Anything to help clear things up would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you wanting to eliminate it ? It works very well

Tom
Well I did cut into it so my wastegate flapper could open fully, but my dad and I filled the gap with some kind of putty, I forget what it was called. I'm not sure the putty or whatever we used will hold for any length of time, especially under high rpms and such, so I want to do the whole replacement of the crankcase whatever just to be safe.

·
Registered
807 Posts
if your wanting to do away with it on a stock style set up, you have few choices:

1. run a plate from the front of the block, vent it to a catch can...same as the cam cover, then run from the catch can to the exhaust.

2. Run a dry sump set up

3. Run a setup #1, but with a vaccum pump vented to atmosphere

4. Drain to the ground, and ruin your motor like everyone else.

·
Registered
803 Posts
if your wanting to do away with it on a stock style set up, you have few choices:

1. run a plate from the front of the block, vent it to a catch can...same as the cam cover, then run from the catch can to the exhaust.

2. Run a dry sump set up

3. Run a setup #1, but with a vaccum pump vented to atmosphere

4. Drain to the ground, and ruin your motor like everyone else.
Why can't it just be vented to a catch can and be left at that? Why does it either have to end up going to the exhaust or require a vacuum pump?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why can't it just be vented to a catch can and be left at that? Why does it either have to end up going to the exhaust or require a vacuum pump?
This is what I was wondering. I mean, I do plan on making the block off plate or whatever off the block and routing it to a catch can, but I'm not sure if it would be best to just leave it the catch can, vent it to the atmosphere, or dump it off in the exhaust system. I'd rather not do the latter because I'd rather not mess with my exhaust system.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I'm baffled at Inis' post too.

Is your turbo internally wastegated thats causing this problem?

I think that your best bet is to run a catch can. You'll lose oil in very very small increments so just figure out where you would want to mount it (has to be lower than the source to gravity feed into the can) and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I kinda know what you guys are talking about, but am still confused. Can someone explain to me exactly how this works, why one would need a block off plate and which way is the best to set it up. I guess I'm just asking for a full explanation of the pcv system and how I will ahve to set it up when I put my turbo on. Thanks.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Contact any pro engine builder, or a top piston maker (je or probe) . They'll back me.

The lower block needs a vaccum at all time, increasingly with rpm's and air flow through the head. By disregaurding the vaccum on the block (venting to the ground, or not putting a vaccum on the lower block) overtime it does damage to the engine. Sometimes it happens in 2-3k, others can take 1000's of miles. Depends on with the motor.

If you dont put some sort of vaccum on the lower block, you lose hp, ring seating/sealing properly. Gaskets leak overtime...etc etc.

I'll see if I can find the je and/or probe piston link. I use to have a nascar article, but it expired online.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm baffled at Inis' post too.

Is your turbo internally wastegated thats causing this problem?

I think that your best bet is to run a catch can. You'll lose oil in very very small increments so just figure out where you would want to mount it (has to be lower than the source to gravity feed into the can) and call it a day.
Ok, so it'd be best just to leave the catch can alone and not vent it or dump it anywhere?

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
Contact any pro engine builder, or a top piston maker (je or probe) . They'll back me.

The lower block needs a vaccum at all time, increasingly with rpm's and air flow through the head. By disregaurding the vaccum on the block (venting to the ground, or not putting a vaccum on the lower block) overtime it does damage to the engine. Sometimes it happens in 2-3k, others can take 1000's of miles. Depends on with the motor.

If you dont put some sort of vaccum on the lower block, you lose hp, ring seating/sealing properly. Gaskets leak overtime...etc etc.

I'll see if I can find the je and/or probe piston link. I use to have a nascar article, but it expired online.
Are you back on this kick again , NO venting the hose to the ground will NOT hurt your engine in 1oo,ooo,ooo.oo miles , Crap from 1926 till 1969 till the government and EPA stepped in ALL engines in cars has vent/hwy tubes , you go to the drag strips now or road track or any form of racing and you will see 99% of the guys there venting open because they know that sucking that hot oily contaminated air back into the engine is bad

Yes in a perfect world it would be nice to have a 1 to 3psi Vac on your engine but even if you hooked up your stock PCV it wouldnt pull a vacume on it , when your in the throttle engine loose vacume so your not pulling a vacume on the engine like inis is stating yet many car makers today warranty your engine to 100,000 miles its there for emmissions

The PCV system is there for emmissions and to help remove moisture and contaminates from the engine over time to help prevent moisture build up and keep the oil cleaner longer

I have a SVO that was vented out in 1986 , it now has 137,000 miles on the stock engine that I have driven my self with no issues , I have built 1000`s on customers engines over the years with no issues from venting the engine to atmosphere and you wont have any issues doing it on the Zetec

Im not saying that top engine builders wouldnt like to see a $1000.00 Vac pump system hooked to there engines but I know that isnt going to happen and they know it to

First the engine needs to breath both top and bottom that is most important then idealy a Vac pump system but the intake manifold and normal running of the engine and PCV wont do this , it needs a pump mounted like the power steering pump mounts on the accessory belt turing it so the more RPM the more Vac it pulls , the Focus does not have room or is there a kit for it and if there was I would still say to vent it out and be done with it

Inis you are wrong in that this will harm an engine if PCV isnt used

Tom

·
Registered
807 Posts
Most pro engine builders use a dry sump, a dry sump pump puts a vaccum on the motor. So the motor can be sealed off. The catch can for the dry sump system hooks up to the cam or valve covers. You'll find that stock running class motors (like scream offers) use a vaccum pump along with a wet pump or the factory pump.

I've yet to come across a factory motor that does not have a vaccum source on on the lower crank, and cam or valve cover.

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
We have a wet sump so lets stick to wet sump PCV

Yes all factory now has a PCV but it does NOT pull any kind/form of Vac on the engine it pulls a slight Vac to evacuate contaminates but in NO WAY puts a vac on the engine , when you get on the throttle you loose Vac and the PCV shuts down on pulling anything so is the engine now going to blow or are we to only idle our engine so we can see some vac being pulled through the PCV hose

The valvecover has no vac it is just dumping what ever air is pushed out from the engine through the valve cover and cought by the incoming air to the engine , this is not Vac but neutral and this hot oily moisturised air gets collected and taken where it collects in the bottom of your intake and injested into your engine lowering octane and causing the intake air to be much hotter increasing the chance of detonation

As stated before the PCV system is there for emmissions not to create a Vac on the engine and the stock system does not create a Vac because it isnt a sealed system , No sealed system no Vac

Tom

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
i agree with tom. if there is a vent on the valve cover (and there obviously is) and the air is pulled out through the crank case then it isnt sealed and there isnt any way to create a vacuum. it is just so your engine can breath.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, didn't realize this was going to turn into a debate, haha.

Ok, so what I'm gathering here is: Using an adapter like the JayRacing crankcase block off plate, I can run a line to a catch can, then vent the can to the atmosphere, correct?

What else needs to run to the catch can?
Basically what I'm asking is:
1. what all needs to be incorporated into this catch can
2. what goes in
3. from where
4. to where on the can (up top, down low, does it matter)
5. is there anything supposed to be inside the can or is it just a box basically

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
Read this first http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170721

The way I do the venting and have on the Focus sence 2000 with not one engine failure out of hundreds
5/8 hose on valve cover going down level with the bottom of the trans and cutting it off

3/8 hose on PCV , PCV has been gutted of the check ball and spring and hose goes over the top raid hose and down to the front of the trans and cut off equal to the bottom of the trans

It is VERY important that if you use the jay racing plate that you tack a deflector to the back side so it does not dump all your engine oil

Tom

·
Registered
798 Posts
I will be T-ing my Valve Cover and PCV together into a catch can. Then I will run the other end of the catch can to the intake side of the turbo.

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
I will be T-ing my Valve Cover and PCV together into a catch can. Then I will run the other end of the catch can to the intake side of the turbo.
Then you will be sucking in hot oily contaminated air into your engine , oiling down your piping and intercooler

Tom

1 - 20 of 46 Posts