Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PCV part information - UPDATED

2004 Ford Focus ZX5 with the 2.0L Zetec. I got a PCV valve (Fram FV349) from a parts store, hose (xs4z-6n664-ba) and elbow (f8cz-6n664-aa) from the dealer and went to do the job. I found out that the hoses inner diameter is different from what is on the car. My old PCV connection port is much bigger and the pipe under the thermostat housing is bigger. As a result the hose will not fit on the pipe and neither will the elbow if I use the new parts. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, intake on the back and exhaust up front. Oh and zetec stamped on the valve cover. Engine code 3. Parts from the dealer were searched by the vin.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Ok good , your best bet for parts. Are Tousley Ford. They give us cost plus 10% on everything. If you need oem parts. Like the hoses that are preformed. If you don't , get them from Rockauto.com . Super fast shipping , and great prices , even on Motorcraft parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
[/QUOTE]

I have run into a similar problem with my '04 Zetec Wagon. I have the large PCV and hose like you. Got a new PCV from O'rielly's on Friday and its too small. Cleaned my old one with intake cleaner and reinstalled. You can buy the complete PCV and hose set from Ford but it's not cheap.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies ,I was hoping someone would know why there are different sizes for the same parts. The new parts would work but I would have to replace the metal tube under the thermostat housing as well. The job is too expensive just to replace the PCV. I have cleaned the old one and put it back in, but 230K is kinda pushing it for usable life. I have to get my emmisions tested this week and was tuning things up. The only difference between the old and new part numbers are the first 4 letters/numbers, the rest is the same. Since my Ford dealer spec'd out the parts I have to assume they are the correct in his system, so why are they not correct in the real world?

I live in Canada so Tousley isn't my best bet, rockauto carries the PCV but nothing else. If I should be looking for a different part number I would like to know what. Thanks for you inputs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HamiltonFighter, are you sure that is a PCV valve? It looks more like the vent coming from the valve cover to the hose going to the air intake.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PCV part information ... UPDATED

OK, some more information. When I took the PCV and elbow off I got part numbers off of the old ones. Took the numbers to Ford and the part came up for a Zetec engine off of a 2003 Escape. The hose is identical to the one I have and the computer showed a PCV valve (again $50, WTF!) just like mine. I ordered the elbow and they are holding on to the hose for me and off I went to search for a PCV. Napa has one for $30, still too high, so back to the parts store I got the valve from the first time. They show the same PCV vavle for all Zetecs ... Escape, Focus, SVT ... but I now know they are not. Sooooooo, my PCV vavle has 3S4G-6N666-MB and I am off to try to find a crossover part number.

I understand that it is possible that an engine swap has occured, I bought the car with 110K on it and have put on another 120K since, but Ford has no record of that happening and there is no insurance information on it either. So how I have a different engine I don't know. Is there any information on the engine itself that would identify it better?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like our Zetecs may have left over 2003 PCVs and hoses. Rockauto shows the larger PCV available for the '03 Tribute.

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # V404 {#3S4Z6A666MB, YF7113890, YF7113890A}
$26.89

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Just want to ask a question here, but is it common for this pipe to start leaking oil? I got a leak right where it hooks up to the triangle looking thing under the exhaust, but it does kinda look like it could be coming from the head?

The head gasket is new, and both sides of the head/block where cleaned very well. So is it also common for it to seem like it's coming from the head?

·
Registered
267 Posts
This may assist you in your search. The OE# on the Valve would be 3S4G 6A666 MB, which crosses to a Motorcraft EV272. This is the valve I show by application for your car without a VIN# in. If the FORD part is too expensive (I show current retail is $57.25) you can buy at a local NAPA for $37.29 NAPA part# is 2-9545. Hope this helps

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oriellys also shows the large PCV for the '03 Tribute. BWD PCV545 $32.99 amd Motorcraft EV272, as posted above, for $34.99

·
Registered
44 Posts
This may assist you in your search. The OE# on the Valve would be 3S4G 6A666 MB, which crosses to a Motorcraft EV272. This is the valve I show by application for your car without a VIN# in. If the FORD part is too expensive (I show current retail is $57.25) you can buy at a local NAPA for $37.29 NAPA part# is 2-9545. Hope this helps
Thanks for the NAPA part#, its the best price yet. $18.99 from my local store.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great information, thanks guys.

As for an oil leak, you shouldn't have any oil leaking from the pipe at all. Since it is a vacuum line, any oil getting past the valve would be sucked up to the intake. For it to leak out would require a gross vacuum leak that would definately be affecting you engine performance. That being said ... you also shouldn't have anything more than trace amounts of oil in the crank vent system unless you had a large amount of blowby from your rings. The PCV is mounted in such a way that oil would have to be pretty much atomized in the crank area for it to get sucked up into the PCV. Since the head was done I have to ask an obvious question, was the valve cover gasket done too? It leaks like a sieve and if it is leaking in the right spot it would drain down behind the exhaust heat shield where you couldn't see it and come out anywhere around that area. Other than that and the head itself I don't know of anything that would leak oil around the PCV.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so glad I found this thread. I have the exact same problem. The dealer looked up the hose based on my VIN and gave me that tiny hose. Now I have the right hose and the new PCV is too small (awesome vacuum leak!). I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get the new PCV. For me, the hose was like $10. The small PCV valve was $2, but the bigger (correct) one is around $30. Here it is on Rockauto:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=383374&cc=1434123

·
Registered
72 Posts
Checking the PCV, ended up being a nightmare. That L shape hose broke in 2 leaving the other part on the metal hose. Its forged on there, so I guess I have to take the T housing off to get to it. WTF just wanted to check the PCV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts