Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going crazy this morning trying to figure out how to check my PCV thingy - for bad idle problem I am having.

I have searched forums and watched videos and consulted my repair manual...

Seem fairly obvious from these sources that the PCV valve goes into the motor at the end of the hose that goes from the air filter box... ok. So the little tube that the hose is on, according to the videos I watched, is supposed to rotate a little and slip out and that is the valve I am supposed to shake and see if I hear a noise to tell if it is good. Right?

That thing will not budge and it looks to me after scrubbing around the area that it is attached to the case and not a separate piece at all. I don't know what to do!

Could someone take pity on me and help me find a link to a video or even an image that shows this thing? I looked at the how to change pcv hose here on the forum already - that is not my same engine but...

I just can't think any more - please help! I am going to cry or throw up or bash something with a sledgehammer any minute. LOL It does not seem like it should be this hard to check this thing - I must be doing something wrong.

Georgiaberry

·
Registered
255 Posts
The pcv valve on these zetec engine is done next the the head, not in the valve cover, it is really common for the rubber elbow from the valve to the metal tube to rot, and for the hose from the other end of that tube to the underside of the intake to rot as well

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
The PCV valve for the zetec is located about 10" below the oil fill just to the right of the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Be aware that the other end of the PCV hose is a very common failure point. As the hose turns to go into the intake manifold (this is just below the throttle body), it often splits open or will collapse there. This can cause the engine to idle poorly or die.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for the tip about the other end... I think I saw where the other end comes out so I will check that too - about to work my courage up to go look at this again :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That's it, but I find it much easier to get at from the top...no need to jack up car.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
^^^ Yeah, maybe he can get a local Sasquatch to come jerk that thing out for him. :)

The rear PCV hose goes from a metal tube that runs under the coil pack to the intake below the throttle body. Very hard to get to the end below the throttle body...and don't break off the plastic intake fitting when you take off the factory clamp. Look at the clamp here http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4843704&postcount=9

End of hose by coil pack: http://imgur.com/XgmquUM

End of hose at intake: http://i.imgur.com/nFCN1qy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just noticed that you live by Boggy Creek. Cool.

I have a pair of very long curved needle nose pliers that worked well to remove the valve.
Yes LOL I live in Fouke, the home of the Boggy Creek Monster :) If you have seen the movie - well, yes, that is about what it is like here. Very realistic LOL. I live down a dirt road and my poor car gets a beating.

And! I just came in to ask if it was ok if I used some pliers to pull this thing out because I am pulling and pulling and just can't get it to budge. So THANKS! I already broke something else trying to track down this problem - DPFE sensor - and don't want to keep breaking parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ Yeah, maybe he can get a local Sasquatch to come jerk that thing out for him. :)
for HER lol Lady backyard mechanic here! I ran out of money to pay someone and patience for waiting for someone (ie hubby and others who advise me. constantly.) to have time to try and fix so decided to do it myself if I can. I have learned a lot this summer and replaced my valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, wires, coil pack, and mass air flow sensor. Because I had a)oil dripping down by spark plugs and b) bad idle.

Car was running fine for a while - now bad idle is back all the sudden and worse than ever - can't get it to go away. Can't drive car. Used to I could sit there with my foot on the gas after starting car and after a few seconds to a minute idle would suddenly level out and be perfectly smooth. This happened only sometimes and not only first time I would start the car for the day - maybe would start up fine, but then I go down to the store (perhaps to MONSTER MART in Fouke LOL a couple of miles away) and when I come out - bad idle.

I read lots and lots of bad idle stories on here... seems like so many different causes. I am just trying to whittle away at the possibilities.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
...Lady backyard mechanic here! ...replaced my valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, wires, coil pack, and mass air flow sensor. Because I had a)oil dripping down by spark plugs and b) bad idle.
Sorry about that...not too many lady mechanics on the forum.

It sounds like you are whittling away at the possibilities for your bad idle. If you don't find the cause to be related to the PCV system (and I am really suspecting the rear hose), come back to us.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
everything is horribly filthy in that whole area. the hose and area the pcv valve go into are gunked up with old oil and dust that probably came from my valve cover leaking. I got the pcv valve out with the help of the needle nose pliers but am still struggling to get it loose from the L shaped hose it is in - also can't get hose loose from pipe it attaches to. I can always cut hose off and replace with a new one if I need to, right? and it would help if I could detach that big hose that is in the way but when I did some antifreeze (I think - not very much though thank goodness) came out and then I reattached it right quick!

still trying...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Use the pliers on the hose where it connects to the tube and give it a twist to break it loose. Almost everything tends to get stuck over time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I can see that rear hose that you mentioned - just barely - from the top under the throttle body. I can see where it makes a 90degree turn and is clamped on. at that point the hose is sunken in with a big oval dimple. that is the problem? not supposed to be like that, right? should be nice and round all the way along it.

should I keep on working this pcv valve off and change it since i got this far anyway? autozone swears that the part is under $3. that sounds too cheap...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
PCV valve is cheap, hose - not so much.

You found a decent how to thread to help with finding the pieces, looks like you got there already. The "dimple" is a sign of soft/collapsing hose that can cause running problems, needs replacement when possible.

Plenty of commentary on here about alternatives people have cobbled together for replacements, "official" is easiest if not cheapest.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
"hose is sunken in with a big oval dimple" ...yup, that would be the problem area and it is likely split too. New hose time there.

PCV valve is cheap, so now that you have your old one almost off, put on a new one along with the new rear hose.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The rear PCV hose goes from a metal tube that runs under the coil pack to the intake below the throttle body. Very hard to get to the end below the throttle body...and don't break off the plastic intake fitting when you take off the factory clamp. Look at the clamp here Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - PCV hose

End of hose by coil pack: View from above - Imgur

End of hose at intake: View from below - Imgur
thanks for the tip on getting that factory clamp loose. it was a lifesaver today!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts