Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I just went through the pain of replacing my PCV hose. It is indeed behind the intake manifold. I was told by a local Ford mechanic that it is possible to remove it without taking off the manifold, by removing the TB. I did that, was able to get at the hose but could not get it off. So I bit the bullet and took off the manifold. However, I did not take it out of the car and did not remove the radiator fans (as suggested). Unbolting it allowed me enough extra room to get at the hose and replace. It was still not that easy, but it work.

I attempted to replace the PCV valve but could not get it to come out. So, afraid of breaking it off, I cleaned it out. I was told that these rarely go bad. My hose however had a big split in the back that would have never been visible unless removed.

The symptoms leading to this replacement were the following:
1. Check Engine light- code reported O2 Bank 1 too lean
2. Car rough idle
3. Car dying when slowing to a stop

With the new hose the car runs much better and idles nice and smooth.

Thought I would share this if someone is contemplating taking on this challenge. It took me about 3 hours but was worth the experience and savings of labor cost. The only gripe is the PCV hose has to be purchased from Ford and it is $47. Throw in $20 for a set of manifold gaskets and the total cost is around $70.

-Tom

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
Thanks, I was wondering if it could be done that way, and was planning on writing a How-To on it. I'd have added longer bolts or threaded inserts to replace a couple of bolts so you could slide the manifold out. It might be possible- with 3 long bolts- to replace the manifold gasket using this method. I'd also like to see how easy it would be to replace the thermostat- but that one will likely require a complete removal of the manifold.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PCV Hose Clamps

I just purchased a new PCV hose from the ford dealer in order to fix this exact problem. Before I tear it all down. Are those clamps on the ends or do they just keep the hose from expanding too far?

If they are clamps, do I need a special tool to tighten them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
PCV Hose Clamps

I just purchased a new PCV hose from the ford dealer in order to fix this exact problem. Before I tear it all down. Are those clamps on the ends or do they just keep the hose from expanding too far?

If they are clamps, do I need a special tool to tighten them?
What you are looking at are hose clamps that hold the hose from coming off, these clamps can be released using extra long 90o and straight needle nose pliers at both ends that I picked up at harbor freight tools. Work the hose off at both ends using a screwdriver or hose pliers and replace with new hose. Try to orient the clamps so that you can get to them with the needle nose pliers and slide over the nipples. I have not yet had to replace the hose on my 05 Focus but just finished changing out the pcv valve using this method. The 90o pliers are also used to pull and replace the pcv valve, the retainer ring will have to be broken off to remove the pcv vale so don't forget to have a new on hand you can set the new ring with a long screw driver. This was a bit of a pain but better then removing the intake or paying someone $500+ to do the work. I used the 11" pliers i believe the 16" are better or you might both.
Good Luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Blue Rocket - It is great that you could change the pcv hose without removing the intake manifold with those pliers that can easily acquired at HF.

However, if one plans keep the car for long time, there is the issue of the intake swirl flaps/shaft wear on these models of Duratec engines which requires the no fun task of removing of the intake manifold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts