Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys can you tell me the Pros and Cons of deleting the PCV Valve from a Zetec? and possibly what exactly i would need to delete it? thanks

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
There are PRO`S

Removing the PCV from being connected to the intake manifold stops the oil build up in the intake , it stops hot oily moisture filled air from going into the engine , it stops build up of carbon on the intake runners and cuts down on the carbon build up on the Valves

There is NO downside from removing the PCV other then emissions

Tom

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
I tend to disagree. Run the engine long enough and you will see the difference in sludge production and even more so if you lower stat temperature. Sludge production needs water in order to occur.

The PCV sucks out moisture that gets in the oil but only does it well when engine temp runs to where it routinely crosses 212 degrees to boil water out so PCV picks it up.

Why the engines can run 300k and still have virtually no deposits under the valve cover or otherwise in the motors. I have run both ways and can say you WILL see the difference if motor lasts that long.

Tom is right though in that lowering stat temp increases power and less oil/carbon will be in intake with no PCV, a case of the two edged sword there.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Any condensation that is in the engine like stated above will still come out by the time you hit normal temperature and will still leave the engine every time you get it up to temp

You dont block off where the PCV goes or the valve cover you just leave them open but not connected to the intake manifold or intake

Tom

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Any condensation that is in the engine like stated above will still come out by the time you hit normal temperature and will still leave the engine every time you get it up to temp

You dont block off where the PCV goes or the valve cover you just leave them open but not connected to the intake manifold or intake

Tom

Thus perpetuating the routine of collecting moisture within the oil pan.

Real smart.
[poke]

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Uh, no, water trapped in oil is an emulsion, it does not come 100% free until boiled out like distilling. Engine heat will release a partial amount of it, all does not come loose until you hit 212 degrees. Why all the oil cooler guys say hit that temp at least sometimes.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Thus perpetuating the routine of collecting moisture within the oil pan.

Real smart.
[poke]
Hate to tell you this but even with a PCV system you still get as much moisture/water/condensation in the pan/engine from condensation then with no PCV system , PCV system or lack of doesnt change that

Tom

·
Registered
495 Posts
For those who think the PCV gets rid of the moisture...... Just think about where the fresh air that is replacing the crankcase gases that are being sucked out by the PCV system comes from. Unless you have an air drying system installed in your intake, there is sometimes more moisture being introduced via the PCV system than there is going out. Depends on your climate and how humid the air is.

The engine really only requires vents to allow the water vapour and hydrocarbon-rich blow-by gases, products of combustion and the oil reaching temps in excess of 212*F, to escape the engine block/valve cover. There is really no need to suck it back into the combustion chamber other than emissions, as Tom already mentioned.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Just think about where the fresh air that is replacing the crankcase gases that are being sucked out by the PCV system comes from.

Exactly what I've been bitching about for years, upon deaf ears.
Closed Crankcase Ventilation is the solution. But Tom says I'm wrong so ...
I'll just let his backwoods advice fly and turn progression back 40 years.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Actually go back 48 years ( pre 1968 ) and all we had was road breathers and open systems , it was only changed because of emissions not because it was a better way of doing things
Call it backwoods all you like it works and there is no down side to removing the PCV/Breather system where the engine is concerned, there is issues to the engine by leaving it , if thats backwoods then.... so be it !

Tom

·
Registered
495 Posts
Exactly what I've been bitching about for years, upon deaf ears.
Closed Crankcase Ventilation is the solution. But Tom says I'm wrong so ...
I'll just let his backwoods advice fly and turn progression back 40 years.
I have to agree with Tom on this one... the open PCV is the best for the engine. One that is based on the pumping action and bypass gasses pushing out of breathers... No vacuum!

Not sure how a closed system would work.... how would you remove the moisture/condensate? Use some sort of inline air dryer....Also you have to deal with over pressurizing the block, witch would result in pressure against the pistons and rob you of power. Unless you instal a pressure relief valve in the system......

They have used smog pumps in other models where they pump the PCV gases into the exhaust at the collector... is this what you mean by closed system?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Haven't read the thread...Don't want to...Stupid question......Sorry, no way around it. Go ahead and delete it...See what happens. Just be sure to have money to replace the engine when it's all said and done.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Haven't read the thread...Don't want to...Stupid question......Sorry, no way around it. Go ahead and delete it...See what happens. Just be sure to have money to replace the engine when it's all said and done.
I think maybe you should have read the thread first! Kind of like crossing the street without looking! Why would he need to replace the engine, that's kind of a void statement without letting the OP know why! [thumb]

As far as the original question goes...

If you want to delete the PCV that feeds into your intake. All you need are a couple crankcase vents. Add one to the crankcase and one to the valve cover and just have them to atmosphere. Make sure you keep them clean to ensure that you don't create any pressure inside the block. It won't blow up the engine....lol it will just hinder performance.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
WOW , I guess all engines built from 1824 to 1968 all blew up ? because they didnt have a PCV system , maybe you should of read that part where PCV systems didnt become mandatory in all states till 1968

A wiki search "The first effort at controlling pollution from automobiles was the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. This draws crankcase fumes heavy in unburned hydrocarbons — a precursor to photochemical smog — into the engine's intake tract so they are burned rather than released unburned from the crankcase into the atmosphere. Positive crankcase ventilation was first installed on a widespread basis by law on all new 1961-model cars first sold in California. The following year, New York required it. By 1964, most new cars sold in the U.S. were so equipped, and PCV quickly became standard equipment on all vehicles worldwide.[1] "

You should of read all of this before making a silly statement like you did , a simple search on the net would also help you a lot and asking questions would also keep you from posting silly statements

Tom

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Gotta do it reasonably properly to avoid troubles.

If a delete kit is just vented direct to ground you'd loose a LOT of oil, and that could be a real problem.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
On all 5 of My Foci they have the delete and at best I have a less then dime spot size in the drive way occasionally

If everything in the engine is working properly and the drain hose is installed right you shouldnt see much if any oil coming from the delete hose onto the ground

Tom

·
Registered
495 Posts
I usually run a 1/2" to 3/4" tapered tube rising vertical from the block at least 4" - 6" in length. On the end I mount a K&N crankcase filter. On the valve cover side I mount another filter. I never see any oil drops and the filters very rarely require cleaning. Only thing I notice is when my oil starts to get old it does start to smell under the hood.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.