#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Same engine same problems.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
490 Posts
Damn. Thanks. Was hoping that it wouldn't be an issue for me... Hopefully not
Almost all modern engines have a PCV system of some kind for emissions, so they are all susceptible to this in various degrees.

New Direct Injection (DI) technology, where the fuel injector is in the cylinder instead of the intake runner, increases the problem. Previously detergents in the fuel helped to reduce the build-up of sludge on the valves by washing them as it flowed past. Moving the injector into the cylinder has great benefits for fuel economy and power output, but a downside is this cleaning action is no longer present.

Running a catch can greatly reduce the amount of oil that ends up in the intake manifold and intake valves. This also helps to maintain the octane rating of fuel and improve overall engine efficiency by removing these contaminants from the combustion chamber.

The only way to truly remove the problem is to bypass the PCV system completely by defeating the PCV valve and venting the system to atmosphere. Depending on the emissions requirements where you live you may run afoul of local laws but that is your responsibility as a car owner should you choose to go that route.

If you intend to own the car long term, I would contend that getting a catch can installed as soon as possible is the minimum. Stopping the build up early is much easier than trying to clean already caked on grime from the valves.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Me , I wouldnt keep the system going , if you do you will greatly minimize the oil getting to the Valves but you will still get some

I would also do the Valve cover hose so it is not going to the intake , if you do you will get oil to the valves

The oil getting to the vales come from 3 places , valve seals , you cant do anything about those , PCV , Me I totally eliminate it , its for emissions nothing more , Valve comes I totally eliminate it both I run to the ground

Plug the intake manifold and the intake where the PCV and Valve Cover goes and your good to go

Tom
This is what I plan on doing. Does anyone know what size hose you use for the pcv hose to run to a breather? I would like to know so I can finish my catch can before taking my intake off.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
the pcv valve you can use 3/8 hose and the breather off the valve cover is 5/8 hose.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Almost every make of car has catchcan info on their respective forums (except this one curiously)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts