Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the pcm updated when I did the fuel tank recall and now my cruise control reads in even and odd numbers has this happened to anyone else ?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You know what. I had the pcm flash done after the fuel tank, pump, purge, recall. Once I picked it up I reflashed back to my Injected 93 octane tune. Filled up the tank and the car started to smell super rich, threw codes p0131 and p2196 then stalled out at a stop light. I put it back to the stock tune and it’s been running fine since but I may go back down and have them reflash to the updated stock tune and use my injected tuner as a paper weight. Thanks for staying with us Injected *thumb down

·
Registered
533 Posts
You know what. I had the pcm flash done after the fuel tank, pump, purge, recall. Once I picked it up I reflashed back to my Injected 93 octane tune. Filled up the tank and the car started to smell super rich, threw codes p0131 and p2196 then stalled out at a stop light. I put it back to the stock tune and it’s been running fine since but I may go back down and have them reflash to the updated stock tune and use my injected tuner as a paper weight. Thanks for staying with us Injected *thumb down
When I got the Injected tune my car ran slightly rough. It changed the strategy Then I got a tune from Tom because Injected wouldn't support it anymore. But once they changed the strategy we had to work with what they left us. So Tom tuned it and while it ran a lot better it was still somewhat rough.
Then I got the purge valve recall done. Ford changed the strategy and stock it ran better. Smooth but without the power I had.
So, I had Tom retune it and WOW, does my car run great now! I have to look down at the tach to confirm its still running at idle. Not a hiccup. Really I'm not joking, like a new car, night and day.
Injected tuner is in the electronics pile with my old flip phones.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I had the PCM flashed during my recall work last week (see https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/811479-recall-other-work.html).

The one thing I've noticed is the shift points have changed. Previously the car would shift into 6th gear at 36mph if I was accelerating slowly or if using Sport mode and shifting manually, but now the car won't shift into 6th until 40 or 41mph even in Sport mode. Not a big deal except that on some roads with a speed limit of about 35mph if I stay within the speed limit I'm now prevented from putting it into 6th. Again, not a big deal, but this will tend to reduce gas mileage just a bit.

Brian

·
Registered
533 Posts
No tune here and zero difference after the evap PCM reflash.
My point is that the Injected Tune was not as refined as a custom tune like Tom's. If you weren't flashed with the Injected tune you probably wouldn't notice much if anything.

Did your display change? I have a view now that has four panels of mpg, DTE, Trip and time all at once. I did not have that before.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My tune from Tom wouldn't load after the purge valve recall work was done because they changed to a new strategy. Still running stock as I haven't yet heard back from him on the resolution that was depenent on SCT linking to the updated strategy.

Anyone else with Tom's tune who has been able to load it after the recall work?

·
Registered
533 Posts
You need to call SCT to get them to "crack" (for lack of a better term..) the new strategy. Then it is available for Tom to tune. That's how I had to do it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had the PCM flashed during my recall work last week (see https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/811479-recall-other-work.html).

The one thing I've noticed is the shift points have changed. Previously the car would shift into 6th gear at 36mph if I was accelerating slowly or if using Sport mode and shifting manually, but now the car won't shift into 6th until 40 or 41mph even in Sport mode. Not a big deal except that on some roads with a speed limit of about 35mph if I stay within the speed limit I'm now prevented from putting it into 6th. Again, not a big deal, but this will tend to reduce gas mileage just a bit.

Brian
They changed this a few years ago. I can't remember if this was the same update that enabled creeping when you let your foot off the brake. I don't like either change, but the transmissions doesn't trip over itself all the time anymore, so it's a net positive change for me.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
They changed this a few years ago. I can't remember if this was the same update that enabled creeping when you let your foot off the brake. I don't like either change, but the transmissions doesn't trip over itself all the time anymore, so it's a net positive change for me.

Yeah, I remember hearing about the update a few years ago but I never needed to bring the car in so I didn't get the update. I've determined the new speed that you can shift into 6th is 40mph versus the previous 36mph. With the older firmware if I was in 6th and the speed slowed down to as little as 34mph it would stay in 6th unless you pushed on the throttle or you started climbing a hill -- I'm not yet sure where the new firmware works with this but if it's like the previous firmware it should stay in 6th until the speed drops below 38mph.

I also need to check out the creep function -- was unaware of that change...

Brian

·
Registered
533 Posts
I did that but they haven't been responsive to that request.
How have they "not been responsive"? What did they tell you when you called? Did they follow through? Did you follow up with a call? I called, told them Tom from Focus Power is my tuner I need the new strategy on the list and they said check back in a bit as we are busy. I called a week late to check up and it was done and on the list.

·
Registered
494 Posts
How have they "not been responsive"? What did they tell you when you called? Did they follow through? Did you follow up with a call? I called, told them Tom from Focus Power is my tuner I need the new strategy on the list and they said check back in a bit as we are busy. I called a week late to check up and it was done and on the list.
I called three times (mentioning Tom) and each time they gave me something different to try and I haven't had a chance to call them back. My business hours coincide with theirs and the last time they wanted me to have the car hooked up to a laptop with internet access but I can only do that at home. I should check with Tom again to see if he has gotten anywhere with the strategy I need. I though maybe he would contact me when he had it ready but no word yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts