Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for the outstanding site. Here's the deal.

My rusty 'ol Ranger is wearing on my nerves. Fortunately, I got an outstanding deal on a 2000 ZX3. All she needs is a transmission, thermostat housing and an ignition cylinder.

Yep, the fabulous cylinder. After demolishing the original and replacing it, I get her to the dealer. Get a message at work to call them, so I figure she's ready to make the trip back to our shop. Wrong!

The service writer informs me that the new keys can't be programmed. Says a code came up that the PATS "transducer" (my guess he meant transponder) is bad. Great. A new one is $44.

Now, I know the car ran w. the existing transducer, as I started her w. the original key before buying. Question is, is it fragile enough that I damaged it in my haste to replace the cylinder? Or, may be it's still good, but the keys that came w. the replacement cylinder are funky. The new cylinder is a NAPA Echlin, so although it's not factory, I'd assume it's a quality part.

Perhaps someone is trying to hose me. Or not. Hard to think straight through the frustration. It's not encouraging when the service writer says "we can fix it, but it's gonna cost you" followed by a chuckle. Think again.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Are they talking about the ring antenna that sits around the ignition cylinder and talks to the PATS chip in the key? I have one that I don't need (I just replaced my fixed steering column with a tilt/telescope column) that I'd be willing to let go for ~$15 plus shipping...PM me if you're interested.

Otherwise...I'd shoot b16sir1991 (Mike) on here a PM...he works at a Ford dealer and can get you new Ford parts at employee cost, I'm sure it'd be less than what the dealer wants.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep (as far as I know). Funny thing is, I had no clue the car was chip key equipped when I started work on her. Just figured the ring was some designers strange way of using every last bit of space to store electronics.

When she didn't make a peep after I installed the new cylinder, it was like an epiphany. "Oh, that's what the little black ring is. The stinking keys are coded!"

Anyhow, I appreciate the offer. I'm going to sleep on it, as I've got to work another Saturday to take care of storage costs until she's fixed. If there's an up side to the situation, at least I get an employee discount to tow her around the city personally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts