Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic told me that my passenger side engine mount (isolator, according to Ford's terminology) is bad. I was going to try and replace it myself but was shocked at the price range: $272 for a genuine Ford part, and $16 for some after markets. I have gathered that the after market mounts are no good, but am leary of paying so much for a factory mount. Is the factory mount the only viable choice, and if so, are their cheaper sources for the it than going through the dealer? If there is a thread that addresses this question, please direct me to it. And why is the SVT mount so expensive? The non-SVT mount is about $130. Is it made of a different alloy?

The link to the Ford site:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...2&search=true&year=2003&make=Ford&model=Focus

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
OEM engine mounts are generally of better quality. It's one part the aftermarket never seems to have gotten right. (Avoid anything costing $16...) The SVT and regular Zetec cars have different hole spacing. Several aftermarket vendors sell OEM parts. See link below.

Remember the SVT was produced in small numbers over a decade ago. Parts are rarer, costlier to reproduce in smaller batches (or not worth making at all because of the limited market) and consequently more expensive.

Try http://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/Ford-Passenger-Side-Engine-Mount-for-02-04-SVT-ST170-Focus-95p1027.htm You may find others. Search for part 2M5Z-6038-AA.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I think I'll probably go that route. However, I did see this description at the link you gave:

"The Ford factory side engine mount was designed as a soft flexible mount to provide a comfortable drive."

I don't really care about a comfortable ride. The OEM mount has hydraulic fluid, and I think this is where after market versions have trouble. I'm wondering if there's any type of replacement mount that just has some type of tough rubber bushing with no hydraulic fluid compartment at all?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Tascaford.com
I had ordered one from Rock Auto but realized during this discussion I had ordered the wrong part and that this was probably not the place to try and save a few bucks. I just reordered a factory one from Tasca. Price delivered to my front door will be $193.42. I believe mine is still good but I'm getting to have the timing belt, pulley, tensioner and water pump replaced so I decided to get this done too since it has to be pulled anyway. [cool]

·
Registered
221 Posts
After replacing the passenger side mount once, on each SE model I have owned, I can tell you. After only about 2 weeks, the car is not far off from having a completely shot OEM mount feeling to it.

It's nice for the first days or so, then seems like it goes to crap. Right now my Zetec has an Anchor mount in it, which will be getting switched back out to the OEM from the local dealership here in town, as soon as I have the cash to.

It might be quite costly right up front, but it's worth it. So unless you like your butt being shaken at lights in the driver's seat, continue to look around and try to compare the best prices for a Ford mount.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Right now my Zetec has an Anchor mount in it, which will be getting switched back out to the OEM from the local dealership here in town, as soon as I have the cash to.
Most local Ford dealerships want too much cash for that part. You might save a bundle of cash if you use a different supplier -and it is the same OEM part.

-are you replacing it or are you having Ford do it? -replacing it yourself at home is actually quite easy.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
I personally have run into crap pass side mounts from Anchor, Westar, and DEA now. Ain't a whole lot left there. The Westars actually performed better than they did new by instantly cutting the tops out to remove all the hydro parts, pretty............damn.........funny.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm the OP on this and someone here told me on this thread that there is a non-hydraulic passenger side mount available (http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...us-95p1815.htm). The OEM and other aftermarket parts have hydraulic fluid, and these lead to a less harsh ride, but they tend to go bad. I drive an SVT and would gladly tolerate a harsher ride for more responsive handling.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
FYI, Westar advertises an all rubber non-hydro mount on rock auto, it is a LIE, standard hydro mount in an incorrectly marked box. Anchor used to but not available, the part stores will tell you it is but just order it and see what happens. BTDT.

Be careful what you ask for, some of those poly mounts will shake your face off at idle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Most local Ford dealerships want too much cash for that part. You might save a bundle of cash if you use a different supplier -and it is the same OEM part.

-are you replacing it or are you having Ford do it? -replacing it yourself at home is actually quite easy.
I may be going after a different supplier, since the OEM from the dealership here in town is incredibly high. Thanks for the input.

Yes, I will be changing this one myself, since I obviously need to learn how to do it. Focus mounts are always going bad, and tend to be a high point of maintenance on them!

Here is a little video that might inspire, or piss off the OP, depending on how it's looked at. It actually made me laugh. [giggle]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AyuD58rr9M

The old video he made was a complete rant, and I couldn't stop laughing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just finished installing the non-hydraulic passenger side motor mount. ( http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...us-95p1815.htm )

Had a little trouble getting the mount/bracket off after unscrewing the nuts and bolts. (The mount's holes were a bit bit askew relative to the bolts screwed into the engine block). As one poster had suggested, I lifted up the motor a bit more and this allowed the mount to come right off.

Love the improved handling, but as many on this forum have said, it does increase the vibration in the cabin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts