Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days back... as I drove over a set of train tracks, I heard a POP then a pinging sound. After a few miles, it went away and I thought nothing more of it. The car still fet the same and there were no more strange sounds or any real noticeable vibrations. Earlier today I popped the hood to check my fluid levels and, sure enough, the cap for the passenger-side motor mount had broken off (you gotta love the Focus' little qualms).

The internals of the mount are still there (and held in with Gorilla Tape) and the car seems to drive fine. I just put the cap in the glovebox since there's no way to attach it. The problem is, I don't have the time (or the money) to buy an OEM one from Ford and install it before and I am supposed to attend a car meet tomorrow.[mecry]

The simple question is this.... is it all right to drive my car in its current condition?

All bolts are still in place and the car doesn't seem to vibrate or run any rougher.... there shouldn't be much spirited driving. Just a day-long cruise along the Parkway.

Thanks for the help, guys!

- Tum

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Did just the cap come off, and the rubber under it is still okay?

Cause my cap to the top of my motor mount fell off two days after buying it, no problems, and the rubber under the cap seems to be fine without it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything under the cap is just fine as far as I can tell....

In addition, when I quickly rev the engine, the engine still seems pretty solid.

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Yea man if just the plastic cap fell off, then you will be fine. Duralast mount, right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OEM original, as far as I can tell...

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
The cap is only there to keep dirt and stuff from collecting in the top of the mount. It serves no other purpose. It should just pop back on unless something is wrong with cap now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It won't pop back on. The top of the mount internals (the metal plates, etc) are flush with the top.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Hmmmm. Metal plates? The passenger motor mount is hydraulic(oil filled) so the rubber seal should form a dome under load that is pliable. The dome should not extend beyond the top of the lip of the mount so that the cap can pop back on. There should be nothing sticking up or in the way that prevents the cap from popping back on.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Does it look like this

Or this

If it looks like the second one you need a new mount. If you car is a manual transmission its fine to drive on it. The mount being collapsed won't bind up anything in the drivetrain. If its a automatic don't do any driving that isnt necessary. The more it collapses the more bind it will put on the drivetrain. the differential sits a little lower in automatics so the collapsing will put too harsh of an angle on the inner cv on the passenger side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts