Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2007 Focus. After unlocking the car this am the passenger door will not latch it is stuck in open position. It's the weekend and my wife has it out of state.
Thanks for any help.
Tom

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
More than likely the latch is stuck. Try some Liquid Wrench Super Lubricant, greenish/aqua can. (It has a lot of Graphite in it)
For now just use whatever oil you have handy and spray it on the latch on the door side and manually latch and open it a few times to work it in.

It's most likely inside the door where the problem is though. The outside door handle and the rod gives troubles quite often. But oiling the latch does help some.

This can:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

Thanks for your thoughts. The problem is that we can't manually move the latch it is stuck in the open position. It doesn't help to pull the handle from in or out of the car.
Tom

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Hammer and a screwdriver maybe?
That's odd, must be something jammed inside or it's that froze?
Or it could be inside the latch itself, in which case the door panel has to come off.
I'd try a little force with it first though.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
My driver door latch failed a few months ago.....it would latch, but not lock either with the remote or the key. I sprayed the hell out of it with everything....nothing. The problem seems to be the spray won't penetrate into the part that's actually sticking.

It's possible if you took the thing off the car, it could be partially taken apart enough to lube the inside and free up what's stuck.

Mine got replaced under the basic warranty. $80-$120 if you have to buy one plus labor if you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all your ideas. It turns out that my wife had driven through a lot of rain and then overnight the the temperature dropped drastically. The latch was literally frozen when it warmed up later in the day it started to work. You can be sure that we will keep the latches lubed.
Thanks again
Tom

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Mine is broken also. When I open passenger door, the door handle stays open. I just have to hit it very quick and it's normal again :))). I'm so cheap.... So cheap...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts