Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my daughter came home from cleveland and now the 2001 ZETEC with 110K has lots of extra idle vibration in reverse. I changed the pass side mount (easier than expected) and the vibration is gone but there is still a snap/creak noise when shifting back and forth between drive and reverse. Drives perfect, just makes the snap creak. Time for a dog bone? I'm trying to make it right for a buyer without putting too much cash in it.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
www.rockauto.com

Engine: torque-strut mount = dogbone
Transmission: transmission mount

In the Vendor deals, Group Buys, and Special Discounts forum, there is a Rock Auto thread that gives you directions and a discount code for 5% discount. Typically you can get all 3 mounts for what you'd pay for the passenger side mount at a store.

I typically advise people to replace all 3 mounts at the same time. Now, if you want to go as cheap as possible, then look under there and see how bad it is. It might not be that mount or either of the other mounts that is making the noise. It could be something very simple- even a branch caught under there can make horrendous noises.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I found if one mount needs to be done, they all are likely bad. I just did pass & driver over the weekend. First I did passenger, the increased height on the engine was dramatic. So much so that shifting created the creaking noise, engine moved much more towards the airbox area so I replaced the driver side. The driver side one was shot, definitely needed to be replaced.

These two replacements calmed down the noise but this weekend when I do the dog bone it fix it completely. I was watching the torque mount while my wife was shifting and it was moving quite a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts