Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i wanna go to a salvage yard 2morrow i need to know what parts control the idle or could cause a low idle i have a new pcv and hose what else should i grab i need to start tossing parts b4 i burn this car.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Another idle air control valve. That's what really controls idle. The PCV line just causes a lean issue that turns into lower idle.

If you haven't replaced your PCV and it's vacuum line, then you really should do that and go through the A/F reset before you go spending a penny more. I don't know if an IAC is something I would purchase used. Most of the time you can clean the one on your car and get it to work. There's no telling if the one you pull off a blown engine will work correctly. It's really the best idea to simply purchase a new one in this case.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so can i ask u this is a 700 rpm idle with everything on even ac low and what should i use to clean it?
also the idle does not raise when turning ac on but does have a 1300 idle when 1st start then slowly drops to like 600-775ish mostly fluctauting around 750-775 sometimes dropping to upper 5's to 600's but even if i turn ac on idle stays the same actually only seems to go down when anything turns in i.e ac turns on drops a lil fans turn on like a min later and drops again seems to recover to the 775 era thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
High idle at cold start is normal. It is settling low though, it should be around 700, and probably fluctuating a little. It shouldn't go down to 6-500 though. That indicates a problem.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re-read the post my complaint is when the ac go on the idle stays the same so the car does not account for the extra load i.e. if the ac gets turned on to max my volts drop below 12 but if i rev the engine up to above 1k rpm the volts go back up above 13 so im gonna assume that the idle is too low to cover the load of the car which cant be a design flaw that has been this way for 10 years example if i get stuck in traffic for a hour or 2 with the ac on my car battery will die and the car will shut off. if its all working fine then it is a major design flaw and ford should do a recall. haha imagine a road gets closed for 3 hours with 20 focuses on a mile stretch with all their batteries dead. that would be major egg on face of ford.[scratch]

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
It actually sounds more like you are having an issue with a high mileage alternator going bad than a design flaw or idle issue.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cleaned iac bypass valve lets see if that helps

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I give up just gonna get AAA and drive it till something goes pop or boom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts