Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Am planning alot of work on My 2004 Focus (With 67,000 miles) this spring and I need some Reccomendations for some OEM quality or better parts manufacturers..

Water Pump (This Is What Needs Replaced)

Everything Below is The "While I am there" list:

Tensioner
Serpentine belt
Timing Belt
Timing Belt tensioners

Considering: Underdrive Pulley set, Passenger Side Motor mount

also, Since I will be tearing into the passenger Side of The motor Pretty Hard, is There anything else I Should Replace While i'm There?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Waterpump - I would say whatever your wallet likes, but do get one with a "lifetime warranty". New or re-manufactured really won't make that big of a difference. In a reman they re use the housing and install a new bearing/seal and impeller and check the surface for flatness, with most companies, though some will just replace what is worn (bearing/seal).

Timing components - I have a Cloytes set on my car and have had pretty good luck so far. Just don't plan on any set making it 100,000 miles, your better planning on 80,000 and replacing before any incident.

Passenger mount - stick with OEM. If your thinking aftermarket (VF or CFM) only replace all 3. One will put more stress on the other 2 and possibly ware them faster.

Other - idler pulley, accessory belt and accessory belt tensioner pulley/assembly. Things of this nature I do believe in better safe than sorry.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I've swapped timing belts and I personally like the gate's kit. comes w/ all pulleys needed.

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
271 Posts
I replaced all these parts recently and went with all Ford stuff. I didn't replace the passenger mount and accessory belt tensioner at first and ended up having to replace both shortly after the timing belt so that's a good list of stuff you have. You're also going to need the timing belt tools to set the cams and crank so you can set the belt tension.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waterpump - I would say whatever your wallet likes, but do get one with a "lifetime warranty". New or re-manufactured really won't make that big of a difference. In a reman they re use the housing and install a new bearing/seal and impeller and check the surface for flatness, with most companies, though some will just replace what is worn (bearing/seal).

Timing components - I have a Cloytes set on my car and have had pretty good luck so far. Just don't plan on any set making it 100,000 miles, your better planning on 80,000 and replacing before any incident.

Passenger mount - stick with OEM. If your thinking aftermarket (VF or CFM) only replace all 3. One will put more stress on the other 2 and possibly ware them faster.

Other - idler pulley, accessory belt and accessory belt tensioner pulley/assembly. Things of this nature I do believe in better safe than sorry.
On the Water pump I was Planning on a new Bosch Unit and Taking the Old one into work and Pulling it all apart and Seeing If I Can Replace The Seals/bearings (I Know, Probably more work than It is worth)

With motor mounts, This Car is a Daily Commuter car So OEM equivalent All the way (Cept maybe a Better torque mount)

Timing Belt and Components, My Car Currently has 67,000 miles and i will Probably Repeat this Job at 130,000 miles (63,000 miles down The road) am Currently Pricing The Gates Set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts