Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
If this question is in wrong place, let me know.

Will a 2018 mustang 6 speed automatic bolt up to a 2014 2.0 Fusion engine.

Working on a custom project, so don't worry about will it fit in a certain car.

Mike

w/ my magic bag
Possibly if the fwd bolt pattern is the same...If its similar to the 23 d-tech Ranger block in to a fwd....Yea but there are additional mods that needed to be done including the cooling system & accessories mounting points.

Registered
2018 Mustang has two transmission options, for North America at least.

6-speed manual.
10-speed automatic.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. It's almost sounding like for my custom project, I should be looking for a Mustang with the 2.0 engine. Did the Mustang ever come with the 2.0 ecooboost engine and a 6-speed automatic option?
Mike

Registered
Forgot to add, 2016 I think was the last year for 6-speed auto. But again, the smallest engine was 2.3L I4 Ecoboost.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Viper_Crazy. What I want to put together is a 2014 or later 2.0 ecoboost engine with either a 6-speed or 10-speed automatic trans. Felixthecat posted it might be a challenge due to most 2.0 engines are in frontwheel drive cars. It doesn't appear that the Mustangs ever used a 2.0 engine. I also checked out all I could find on the Ranger line of pickups and the smallest gas engine they used is a 2.2l.

So, do you or anyone know of a 2014 or later vehicle that used a 2.0 engine in a "T" driveline configuration that would bolt up to a 6 or 10-speed automatic trans?

Or, is there any aftermarket supplier that has an adapter that would connect the 2.0 engine to a 6 or 10-speed automatic trans?
Thanks,
Mike

Registered
Mustangs back in the day came with the 2.3t, also in the thunderbird capri and merkur.

I had swapped one into my old 91 ranger.

Would go with 83 and up since they got efi not the blow through carb.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas, Graves. But the 2.3 puts me into a different motor class. Also, I want to get into turbos, direct injection, computer controlled timing and VVT. Should be able to get 350+hp somewhat easy with relatively low cost. Will see what happens. Still looking and considering a lot of options.
Mike

Registered
Q1:
So, do you or anyone know of a 2014 or later vehicle that used a 2.0 engine in a "T" driveline configuration....

Q2:
....that would bolt up to a 6 or 10-speed automatic trans?
A1:
Subaru WRX, 2015 and newer had the FA20 (the 20 meaning its a 2.0L) and has the north-south positioning to run RWD. You can buy center diff lockouts that convert it to RWD without having to modify/remove the front drive portion.....HOWEVER, I have not looked to see if RWD conversions are made for the CVT. I've only seen em on manuals.

A2:
Probably not a direct bolt on....but they came with CVT transmissions that simulated the gear changes like that of a conventional automatic transmission when certain sport modes are selected. Couple that with a RWD conversion and you have your "'T' driveline configuration".

I dunno if CVT changes your class but if it doesn't and before you knock CVT, F1 banned it because it was making the cars too fast and too dangerous under certain weather conditions (amongst other reasons I'm sure). IMO, Subaru did this CVT pretty well considering the bad rap CVT got when it started becoming popular with consumer market.

BUT.....this is a Focus forum...not Subaru. If you wanna talk more subaru, you can email me at vipercrazy500 at gmail dot com.

w/ my magic bag
Thanks for the ideas, Graves. But the 2.3 puts me into a different motor class. Also, I want to get into turbos, direct injection, computer controlled timing and VVT. Should be able to get 350+hp somewhat easy with relatively low cost. Will see what happens. Still looking and considering a lot of options.
Mike
Whats the difference in the 2 class's? A Mustang 23 ecoboost w/ whatever trans you want seems like a so much simpler option even if it bumps you up to the next class.

Registered
Whats the difference in the 2 class's? A Mustang 23 ecoboost w/ whatever trans you want seems like a so much simpler option even if it bumps you up to the next class.
I agree. Why do you want to stay in this class?

2.3EB is basically the RS engine and made 350hp from the factory. Mustang numbers I think are around 310/320? The engine already has the infrastructure for turbos so the R&D is basically done for you. Some ECU tuning will take care of the 30-40hp shortfall in a hurry.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I would go with the 2.3 and move up to the next class, displacement regulated, but i'm really sure I read on Full-race.com that they quit using the 2.3 block on their engine builds because it was weaker than the 2.0. The next engine class (2.016 - 3.014L) would allow a lot of room for expansion, but I would hate to start with a weak design. If you know this is wrong, I would like to know. Using a Mustang 2.3 and 10 speed trans sure would simplify things a lot and they are already at 320hp to start with.
Thanks,
Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I finally found the correct site regarding using a 2.0L engine block over a 2.3L engine block. It was NOT Full-Race.com it IS https://adamtuned.com/pages/crate-engines
They state there is issues with the 2.3 block suffering from cracks developing. Read for yourself and develop your own conclusions. Now has anyone ever used one of their race prepared engines?

Thanks,

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts