Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car needs an alignment, but that won't be possible until I replace some worn and seized parts in the rear. I'm definitely replacing the rear lower control arms and hardware, and would like to keep it at that for financial reasons. I've read that the only adjustment to the stock setup is to the bolts on the rear cross member, which look to be eccentric. The lateral link and the camber thingy do not look like they have any adjustment, and none of those are bent or broken. The car has 192,000 miles with new shocks, struts, and front sway bar end links, but everything else is either original or high mileage. No sway bar in the rear. What do you think, could I replace the rear control arms only and get a decent alignment? At highway speeds the rear end sways a little bit and I'd like to get that under control. Thanks!

Toby

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
As long as the eccentric bolts work, you should be able to get your toe settings for your alignment.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ - Sounds like you need new lower arms/adjusters because of their being frozen too badly to be adjusted.

"Bent or broken" isn't the likely problem with other arms, it's bushing wear that you need to be concerned about.

IF bushings are worn (sacked out) so the wheel can change alignment from normal driving forces you'll get a "loose" feeling at the rear as the tires point in different directions while you drive.

See that most often from the rear lower arm bushings wearing out, but the front arm bushings can give out as well so they ALL need a look before deciding they're OK.

Wiggle the wheels for a quick check - if they move you've got bushings to check out closer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts