Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making this thread might be kind of useless, since the issue is obvious, but it's the first time I've seen this error:

"Parking aid malfunction Service required"

"Caution Active Park Assist Fault Please contact your dealer for service."

Well, there's your problem right there!

I cleaned off the sensors in front and everything worked again. Now that it's finally started snowing, remember to drive safely! Also, if you have the Ti handling package and live in the snow belt, I highly recommend snow tires.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi isn't it good of Ford to inform you that it has been snowing outside your car :)
Chris

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi isn't it good of Ford to inform you that it has been snowing outside your car :)
Chris
Yup! Though, it's more due to passing semis on the highway...

EDIT: Best part? I didn't even have to blur my license plate before posting this.

·
Registered
117 Posts
heh, my Ti + handling pack just got home yesterday after abandoning it a couple miles away. It's just like driving the Mustang in the snow, except the steering end of the car slides all over the place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got this problem too with my Focus. But it's something actually wrong. It's been twice to service but they can't find out what it is.

So now they've ordered a new part which they'll try next week. There was a three second window when the sensors were working again the other day.

Makes me think it's a faulty wire, and that's why it hasn't worked to exchange parts so far.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've tried the system once, but the big fear I have is the car parking itself too close to the curb and getting curb rash on the rims. Is the system smart enough to keep car a certain distance from curb no matter what?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've tried the system once, but the big fear I have is the car parking itself too close to the curb and getting curb rash on the rims. Is the system smart enough to keep car a certain distance from curb no matter what?
I find it parks either the perfect distance, or too far - especially with awkward snow banks.

I had an issue with my rim rubbing the curb, but I believe it happened pulling away from the curb (i.e.: turning and driving forward instead of backing up first).

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yes, it is. It is close (not more than 10 cm = 4") but it is. If you don't want to be too close to the curb, while in revers, press the brake pedal and stop the car. The system will ask you to put it in drive and it will continue to perform the parking from there. I find the system an excellent one, even though I didn't test it while snowing - because for obvious reasons. [8)] And it is great for my wife. She likes it and never had a problem to park the car in "tiny" spaces.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi everyone,

6th month into my 12 Focus up here in wintery east coast Canada. Last week my Parking Aid Malfunction - Service Required showed up on the dash... like the photos at the beginning of this post. The difference however is that I can't see anything blocking the sensors. It doesn't trigger all the time either. Like today it hasn't gone off but I haven't driven as much as the last couple of days. Are there any suggestions any one can offer that I can do besides cleaning off the sensors (already tried that).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi everyone,

6th month into my 12 Focus up here in wintery east coast Canada. Last week my Parking Aid Malfunction - Service Required showed up on the dash... like the photos at the beginning of this post. The difference however is that I can't see anything blocking the sensors. It doesn't trigger all the time either. Like today it hasn't gone off but I haven't driven as much as the last couple of days. Are there any suggestions any one can offer that I can do besides cleaning off the sensors (already tried that).

Thanks in advance!
Yikes, you got me on that one. If it is still snowing, you might want to try bringing out a warm glass of water and old toothbrush and cleaning the sensors in the front AND the back. If that doesn't work, it could be a wiring issue... to the dealer!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Update on sensors.

Okay so I am writings his sitting in the lounge at Avalon Ford, here in St. John's. Last week they replaced my back right sensor, not sure how they can tell which sensor but they did. As soon as I got the car in the driveway the error came up again. Called Avalon Ford and that is where I am now this Monday. They are telling me that they think it's a front sensor now. The car is on the ramp and they removed the bottom shield on the front fender. They tell me it can be another hour.

These sensors seem becoming a problem of the Focus. Anyone else have the same issues with their sensors. It sounds like a wiring issue.

Auslander

·
Registered
185 Posts
haven't had any issues yet on my 4/11 build focus w/ parking assist package. Haven't seen too many rumblings on here either. The system is fairly well understood and the manufacturer has been putting these things on cars for years and years. My guess is you got a gremlin in your harness somewhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
safetyguy14:

Just got it back they have to order the driver side harness needs to be replaced from Michigan. Two weeks and hopefully this time it will be fixed. I am not the most tech-savy but anyone know why the harness would have issues? It's just a few wires isn't it?

The dealership said they didn't encounter this issue but were the 2012 is new to us it may lead followups down the road. I wasn't sure if the Park Aid was something new, thought it was existing in other models already.

Auslander

1 - 20 of 144 Posts